Truce?

Guilt pooled in my stomach a I turned my back to Carl, the whisper that had left him as I began to walk away tugged painfully in my chest. But I needed time, I needed time to get over this, to build up my own strength, to finally learn how to be at least somewhat independent.

I walked my way back to the car, hoping to catch a few more minutes of rest in the back seat to clear my muddled head. Shane stood, leaned against the hood, talking absent mindedly and relatively calmly with Dale.

"Are we setting up camp here?" I spoke up, Dale jumped, swivelling around to face me with his hand over his chest.

He took a deep breath before sending a kind smile "we were thinking that we should, this place seems secure, shouldn't be many roamers up here, and we don't know how much the old gal has left in her" he pointed over his shoulder to the RV parked a few feet away.

"Well I'm going to get some rest so--" as I began making my way to the back side of the car, I felt a hand clutch my shoulder and draw me back "oh no you don't, kiddo. I want you to go and talk to people, socialize a bit, you need it".

"But Shane--"

"No buts" he turned me around to face the group that was rather spread out "go", I let out a sigh and made my way forward, spurred on by his gentle push.

I stumbled my way towards Carol, huffing I straightened myself up and walked over to her. Carol looked up from her rummaging in her bag, upon spotting me, a warm smile lit up her face "hey, sweetie how can I help you?"

"Shane said I should come and introduce myself and make friends" I tucked my hands behind my back and clasped my hand together. She let out a light chuckle under her breath "forcing you so socialize, huh?".

I gave a sheepish nod "he just doesn't want to be lonely" Carol mumbled as she looked up at me knowingly "we're a big unorthodox family now".

I paused at her words, taking in the advice and humming thoughtfully to myself. Carol stood up and placed her backpack in a pile of others "the closer you are to the people here, the easier this whole experience is going to be".

She placed a gentle hand on my head "but I'm not going to be the old lady that tells you useless advice about life, go on and do whatever kids do these days".

With a gentle pat to my head, she turned back and made her way towards the RV to fetch more stuff.

I watched her leave before my gaze turned to the ground, Carol was right, she was definitely right. Being close to the people here ensured not only safety but at least a small sliver of happiness.

I bit my lip and shook my head, it was best not to think about it to much. As I turned around quickly, I came to a sudden stop when I almost collided with another body.

I blinked in surprise as I hurried to take a step back to stop us from toppling over. Saving my balance, I took a shaky breath at the close call and looked down at the person that had nearly knocked me over.

"Sophia" I mumbled in surprise, clutching her bear tightly to her chest, she looked up at me "sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going" she mumbled as she caught herself. Carl was at her side, a hand gripping her upper arm to make sure she didn't fall.

She turned to thank the older male as he released her with a reassuring smile. He avoided my gaze, which sent a twinge of pain shooting through my chest, but I understood, I hurt him.

"You're mum is really smart, Sophia" I spoke up, cutting through the awkward atmosphere. The blonde blinked in surprise as she looked up at me "she is?".

I gave a nod, the corners of my lips twitching up slightly "she gives really good advice" I clarified. Sophia paused, glancing over to the side and at the RV where her mother stood, chatting idly with Jacqui.

A smile spread across her face in affection for her mother, she nodded eagerly "she is!" the girl chirped. My smile widened slightly as the girl bid a quick goodbye and rushed over to her mother.

I watched as she collided with Carol's side in a big hug, Carol blinked in surprise before letting out a laugh and swooping down to hold her daughter to her chest.

I watched warmly as the two embraced, slowly turning my head to glance at Carl, he was watching two, though his expression was pained, and nostalgic.

"I'm sorry" he whispered, biting his lip and lowering his head to stare at the ground until his chin touched his chest. His hands balled at his sides and his brows furrowed, his pained expression deepening.

I let out a sigh and shook my head "it's not you who needs to be sorry, Carl" I mumbled, running a hand through my hair.

The guilt in my stomach swirled harder, the male glanced up at me from the corner of his eye. "You were worried about me, I shouldn't have been so harsh, I'm sorry".

He bit his lip and shook my head "I shouldn't have tried to push you for an answer". I held out my hand, pinky finger extended and a worried but hopeful expression played on my face "truce?" I whispered.

A small smile spread on his face and he held out his finger for mine, curling it around my own "truce" he confirmed.

He rose his hand, my hand following his in a hand shaking motion "nice to have you back, best friend".

I let out a deep sigh and nodded in response "nice to have you back".