Chapter 115: Alone time

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

After I had dropped Henry off, Deanna had asked me to leave and that she would send someone to get me so I could pick him up when the interview was over. I decided that now would be a great time to be alone with my husband.

No one really ever got any privacy here unless you lock the doors and stayed cooped up in one room all day, or if you go to the outside but then you're still worrying about getting eaten alive. So where would we go? The woods.

There have been more walkers in that area than usual but with the trees to hide behind and the leaves and twigs on the ground we would hear if someone were approaching.

The woman at the gate didn't even question why we were going out, having given up after so many times. She threw us our weapons and pulled the large, metal, sliding door open. We walked through and took a left turn into the woods, Carl gripped onto my hands tightly and lead me to a log that had fallen on the floor.

I recognized it as the one Carl and Enid were sitting behind which lead to our breaking up. I frowned at the memory but pushed it out of my head, taking a seat next to Carl behind the log. I stared up at the sky, the birds flapping by, the sky breaking through the leaves.

The breeze which swayed, I smelt the fresh air instead of the stench of rotting flesh. I took a sigh of relief "It's nice here, isn't it?" Carl spoke up, I spared him a glance and nodded "it really is" I replied. Carl placed his hand on his lap and ran a hand through his long locks, I chuckled as I reached over taking the ends of his hair in my fingers.

"You need a haircut" I commented, he turned up his nose. Carl always hated having his haircut, which is one of the reasons he keeps it long "you don't like my hair long?" he accused with a small pout. I rolled my eyes, teasingly pushing his shoulder "shut up, of course I like it. But the longer it is, the easier it is for a walker to grab you".

Carl pursed his lips and nodded "maybe..." he trailed off, I sighed and leaned over to rest my head on his shoulder. "Carl...what will become of us?" I whispered, "what do you mean" he looked downwards at me "I'm--" I sighed and shook my head, taking it from his shoulder "It's nothing".

Carl didn't seem convinced "(Y/N-" I cut the male off with a small peck on the lips "come on, we hardly ever get time alone. Let's not spend it being miserable okay?". Carl pursed his lips before nodding, nudging me with his shoulder.

"Carl do you ever imagine what it would be like if this whole thing never happened?" I wondered out loud "you mean the apocalypse?" he responded, I nodded in confirmation "well...my mum wouldn't have died, you're mum wouldn't have died, neither would Nikolai. Dale, Merle, Hershel and so many others" he said.

I trailed my gaze to the ground "but a lot of good things would never have happened, we might not have gotten together, Judith might not have been born. We might not have made such good friends, have a family...and we wouldn't have grown up to be so strong" Carl added. A small smile crossed my lips, Carl was right. With good things comes bad things, with bad things comes strength to overcome it.

I slapped the male on the back, he in turn spluttered. I chuckled as I stood "come on then Carl, let's go blow off some steam". He grinned and jumped to a stand, pushing his hat onto his head and pulling his gun from it's holster.

I took my own gun, a blade in the other hand. We crept quietly, narrowly avoiding dying leaves and twigs to walk with minimal sound. There was a walker up ahead, walking aimlessly through the branches. I spared a glance to Carl, he nodded as he noticed my gaze. I grabbed a conveniently placed pinecone, reeling my arm back I threw the pinecone at a nearby tree.

The walker reared it's head with a hiss, walking as far as it's broken legs would take it. I let it walked right up beside me, it turned it's head with a growl before turning in my direction. I grinned and waved, the walker let out a cry before charging towards me.

I leaned back swerving around his swinging arm, lifting my arm as the walker stumbled forward I inserted the blade of the knife from the back of it's spine, holding it in place while Carl came around the front pressing the barrel of his gun on the walker's forehead.

He squeezed the trigger, I made sure to lean out of the way so in case the bullet went through and through I wouldn't get shot. Luckily the bullet remained inside the walker's head, the zombie feel off my blade and onto the floor. I wiped the knife on the walker's clothes, clean of blood.

I turned to Carl with a grin, he slapped the palm of his hand against my own in a high five "ready for more?" he questioned, I chuckled "you bet".