The group

The road went on for what seemed like forever. My head remained resting against the window, ear phones in my ears using up the last of the battery in my ipod. Which, in all honesty, probably wasn't very smart. But right now, I needed the comforting words that my playlist offered.

I could feel the car rolling to a step, the engine turning off and the sound of Lori's seatbelt releasing. She turned around in our seat to look back at us "I'll be back in a minute, you two stay here alright?".

Receiving no protests, she stepped out of the car, taking the keys with her. Glancing out the window, I could see we had pulled up at the police station, or to be specific, the police station that Carl's dad used to work at.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, what could Lori possibly be doing here? Watching her disappear into the doors, my question was answered but a few moments later when she came out with Shane trailing behind her.

In his hand was a duffel bag, large and heavy. He quickly tossed it in the trunk, and slipped into the drivers seat, Lori moving to the passenger side.

Carl lifted his head off of the window, blinking his eyes groggily "Shane?" he mumbled, voice thick with sleep.

The male glanced over at us through the rear view mirror "'sup little man, princess" he nodded to the both of us, eyes softening when his eyes landed on me, I could only assume that Lori told him what happened while inside.

I closed my eyes with a sigh, his pity was the last thing I needed, even though I knew he meant well.

I absorbed myself in the sound of the music flowing through the ear buds, taking a deep breath and letting myself relax.

"I remember tears streaming down your face
When I said, "I'll never let you go"
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said, "Don't leave me here alone"
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight"

The words left my lips quietly.

"Don't you dare look out your window, darling,
Everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold on to this lullaby
Even when music's gone
Gone"

I could feel their gaze on me as I sang quietly but didn't let it interrupt.

"Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
"You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound..."

I trailed off, biting into my bottom lip as my eyes slowly fluttered. I could hear the familiar beeping of the ipod giving it's low battery signal. I sighed and cursed myself for not charging it overnight. I pulled out my ear buds, wrapping the cable around the ipod and slipping it into my pocket.

"You didn't tell me you could sing" Carl mumbled, seeming upset that I had never told him. I rose and dropped my shoulders in a shrug "it never came up".

My breath was knocked out of me as my seatbelt locked and the car jerked to a stop, "What is it?" Lori asked panicked.

"An RV, stay in the car" he mumbled, unbuckling his seatbelt and slipping out of the car, shutting the door quietly. As he walked towards the car, I saw his hand lift to his hips, slowly pulling out his gun.

I quickly unbuckled my own seatbelt and shuffled closer "what is he doing?" I mumbled quietly. Shane stopped in front of the door to the RV, bringing up his fist and knocking loudly.

As the door slowly swung open, our view of whoever was inside was obscured but I saw Shane step back quickly and hold up his gun, aiming it at whoever had opened the door. I could hear his muffled yelling, as his hand rose to cock the gun.

I hurriedly reached for my seat belt, pushing the button down and releasing myself, throwing the door open, I slipped out of the car.

"(Y/N)! Get back in the car!" I could hear Lori's hurried yell, I glanced to her worried face, and over to Shane's. I was familiar with Shane's impulsive behaviour, I couldn't just watch as he held a gun to a survivor's face without listening to reason.

Ignoring her pleas, I ran forward, rushing towards the R.V "Shane!" I called out loudly, he glanced at me briefly. With a double take, his eyes landed on me once again "I told you to stay in the car" he huffed through clenched teeth.

I reached forward, placing my hand on his tense arm, glancing to the side and into the RV. An old man stood there, eyes wide as he glanced at the gun and then down to me.

"Shane, he's an old man, put the gun down" I mumbled quietly.

The muscles under my hands tensed further "he could still be dangerous" was his reply. I looked up at the old man "if there are a lot in there, and if they wanted to hurt us, they would have by now, don't you think? There's only the two of us standing here".

Shane's jaw clenched and unclenched for a few moments before his gun slowly lowered, he didn't put it away.

"Get out of the RV" Shane ordered, the old man put his arms up and nodded, turning his head to mumble into the RV, words that I couldn't quite make out.

Soon, he made his way down the steps and out of the RV, and behind him, his group followed. With their hands raised and eyes flitting between the gun in Shane's hand and the both of our face's, they lined up alongside the RV.

"My name is Dale" the old man spoke up, "this is my group" he lowered one hand to point to each individual person, providing name's with each body.

"We mean no harm, we're just looking for shelter--" Dale paused, glancing between Shane and myself before looking to the car "you're more than welcome to join us, we could use the extra hands. I'm sure little Sophia here would like friends close to her age".

Lifting up his hand, the small blonde girl came to stand by his side, stuffed bunny hugged to her chest.

I looked up to the male standing at my side "Shane?" I mumbled for his input. Pausing to think things over, he sighed, pushing his gun back in it's holster "seems like we don't have much of a choice, we could really use the help, seems like you guys have more experience with this hole apocalypse thing".

Relieved sighs left the group standing opposite us, and as I turned my head to look towards the car, I saw the concerned and confused faces of the Grimes, the corners of my lips tilted up the slightest and I gave a nod of my head.

Shoulder's dropped in relief and they leaned back in their chairs.

We had help, we had people with experience, we had a group.