chapter 18: suspicion

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

I still sat in that arm chair refusing to move until Carl got out of surgery, my legged bounced up and down in anticipation as i brought my thumb to my mouth to nibble on slightly. I sighed and used my free hand to comb my hair out of my face 'come on, come on, come on' i chanted in my head. I looked towards the sun seeing it setting it's been almost 2 hours...where are they...isn't the surgery done? i asked myself. (Author forgot to mention that the rest of the group had already arrived because she is an idiot me: hey! who are you calling an idiot?!) Glenn sat next to me and patted my back but that did no good i was still an emotional train wreck. My leg shaking got worse as 10 more minutes passed, and just my luck the door to the guest room where the surgery took place opened slowly and Hershel came out cleaning his hands with a rag "the surgery...was a success" he said and i breathed out a breath i didn't even know i was holding.

I immediately ran over to Carl's room and went to his side to see him still unconscious "go , i'll look after him i promise i won't leave his side" i swore. They hesitantly nodded and left the room. After shutting the door behind them i walked back over to Carl and sat on the side of his bed. I leaned over him to get a good look at his condition my face hovering above his, i stared at his closed eyes and leaned in even more our face or more importantly lips centimetres apart. I hesitated but pressed my lips against his...forehead (oh, you probably hat me now, but fluffy romance is coming so dear reader, patience is key) I chickened out, i just couldn't kiss him...he;s my best friend! I sighed and pulled away, sitting myself back into the armchair beside the bed.

My eyes shut for a second and i thought i was going to fall asleep 'till i heard some rustling coming from the bed, i opened my eyes slowly and stared wide eyed at the now conscious boy in front of me "Carl!" i yelled assisting him as he tried to sit up "hey, what happened?" he asked "oh you know, you got shot and i waited for you to wake up for about...3 hours" i shrugged sarcastically, Carl chuckled nervously "that much happened huh?" he asked "Carl Grimes, if you ever worry me like that again i will shoot you myself" i warned "i know, i'm sorry" he apologized. I sighed and sat next to him on the bed once again "i was really scared that you were going to die and break your promise" i muttered looking down at the bed sheets and twirling my finger in them "don't be, it takes more than that to kill me!" he yelled and made a hero pose but winced and held his bullet wound "ow, i shouldn't of done that" he mumbled in pain "don't reopen your wound" i warned as i pushed him back onto the bed "you should probably rest" i told him "yeah, you too" he said "i'm not leaving your side" i told him. He laughed "i had a feeling you wouldn't, so i suggest you lay next to me" he said scooting over with much difficulty and patting the spot beside him. I giggled and hopped into bed turning my body to face him "good night" i said softly "good night" he said back and we both closed our eyes in sync.

~one week later~

Carl was up and about now, still having to visit Hershel for his check up's but at least he was safe. This farm seemed secure and safe from walkers so i think this would be a great place to stay especially while looking for Sophia. The weird thing is Shane wants to give up so badly it's really strange and he thought i didn't notice but when he came in with the equipment for Carl's surgery a week ago, he had a bald patch almost as if soeone had pulled out a clump of his hair...strange. But we had attended Otis's funeral and for the little time i got to know the guy he was really nice and i could tell that he was really guilty about shooting Carl. I had gotten to know Beth and Maggie better i could tell we were al going to be really close, Glenn and Maggie really  hit it off. I sighed as i hung up clothes with Lori "is something wrong (Y/N)?"she asked "nah...it's justi find it weird how Shane wants to give up so easily, y'know?" i asked "i find i weird too but it's who he's become now that the world has become like this...he wanyts us to be safe and staying in one place for too long isn't safe" she said "i know but...the wat he's changed...i don't like it, it'n not the Shane i knew before Rick came back" i said "what do you mean?" she asked "you haven't noticed? Shane has been acting differently ever since Rick came back" i told her "i suppose you're right, though i never paid much attention to it i thought it was just because of all of the devastation we've been through" she said "that could be another reason" i replied.

I lookeed at Shane, well looked isn't really the right term, i analysed him as he was putting a gun back together with a serious look on his face as usual. I watched as Andrea walked up to him pruposely swaying her hips, she difintely has a thing for him, i ony she knew the kind of person he really is. I scoffed as she sat down and leaned over more than she needed too, she was trying way too hard. Lori trailed her gaze over to them and rolled her eyes at the sight. I shook my head and continued to hang up the clothing. Lori hung up the last item of clothing "thank you for helping me (Y/N), you can do whatever you want now ok? Just stay on the perimeter and don't go near any walkers" i nodded nd rolled my eyes playfully at her overprotectiveness. I ran over to Carl to see him talking to Rick "well, you have to aske your mother" Rick said "but you know she'll say no!" Carl argued "i think it's a great idea you need to learn to protect yourself, i'll teach you and i'll try to persuade your mother" Shane said walking over. Carl cheered "what's going on?" i asked "i'm going to learn how to use a gun!" Carl said exitedly "after you got shot bu one?" i asked, Carl shrugged nonchalantly and Lori came marching over "absolutely not! I will not let my son handle a gun!" Lori put her foot down "but Lori, the kid needs to learn how to protect himself when he has no one to so it for him" Shane tried to persuade "if he shoots himself with one of those i would kill you" she hissed "so is that a yes?" Shane asked "fine" she scoffed. Carl cheered again and walked off with Shane "you made the right choice, plus if he does do something stupid promise i will be their to help him" i smiled up at her and she smiled back with gratitude. "thak you (Y/N), o can always rely on you" she said petting my head in a motherly way.

I kept an eye on Shane while he was teaching Carl how to shoot becasue to say i was concerned was an understatment, i was suspicious of Shane and his antics. And one way or another i would make sure he never hurts anyone ever