chapter 17: I need you

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

My eyes opened groggily and I looked around the cosy room, staring at the floral curtains. I pushed myself so I was sitting up and looked towards the arm chair beside me to see Shane fast asleep I laughed slightly and got out of bed. My cold bare feet the floor as I stepped down the unfamiliar hallway "hello?" I asked as I peeked into the living room "hello" I heard a voice say from behind me, I jumped and squeaked. Putting a hand on my chest I turned around to see an old guy who would look like a great grandfather "geez...don't scare me like that" I joked, he chuckled "so I guess you want to see him?" the old guy said "him? you mean Carl? Sure...I'm (Y/N) by the way" I greeted holding my hand out "Hershel" he said as he gave my hand a quick shake. We entered a room and I immediately ran over to the shirtless boy, in any other way I would've blushed but seeming as he was laying the unconscious and possibly bleeding to death the need to blush vanished completely.

I sat down in an armchair next opposite Rick's and help onto Carl's hand "i'll leave you too it" Hershel said as he walked off. I stared at Carls sweat covered face and reached for a towel in a bucket of water on the bedside table, I dipped the towel in and wrung it out  I then proceeded to gently dab Carl's face "don't hurt him!" Rick yelled as he grabbed my wrist "I barely touched him" I said softly. Rick let go of my wrist and apologised "sorry I'm just tense" "I understand" I said as i contimued to dab his face and neck. I glanced at Rick asb he laced his hands in his hair "go get some air Rick" i ordered "no way, i can't leave him. He needs me here" Rick argued "exactly he needs you and you can't be there for him if you pass out from lack of sleep, get some rest" i persisted "i'll be here for him" i said "alright fine" he sighed and left the room. I put down the towel and proceeded to sit down and grab Carl's hand "hey Carl" i whispered "i don't know if you can hear me but...things are rough without you here, i'm on an emotional rollercoaster and i have no idea what to do...i need some encouragment...i need someone to stay...I-...I need you" i continued as my head turned towards the floor.

The door opened and Hershel stepped in looking at me "how you doing?" he asked "me? Just peachy" i said not taking my eyes off of Carl "it's not too much of a serious wound but...i'm going to need to remove the bullet and that will put him through extreme pain but if i don't remove it the wound won't heal right" he explained "then remove it" i ordered "i'm going to need someone to hold him down" Hershel said as i stood up to hold him down "more than just you" he said, and right in the nick of time Lori and Rick came in. Lori started crying and stroking his head "my boy..." she cried "we're going to need to remove the bullet so hold him down" i ordered in a monotone voice, Lori stared at me in shock as if wondering what the hell happened to me. Rick stepped ap and laid his hand over Carl's legs and i gripped Carl's shoulders "ok, here we go" Hershel said as he moved closer to Carl with the tweezers.

Hershel dug the tweezers into Carl's bulet wound immediately Carl tried to shoot up and started screaming, i couldn't bear the look of pain on his face so i looked away and my grip on his shoulders tightened. Hershel panted slightly as he reached for another of the bullet shards, he pulled another out and put the tweezers down "there are some fragments in his veins that i need to remove but to do that i need to clamp the vein, we will need to put him under. That seems simple enough but there's a problem, he won't be able to breathe when he's under so we will need a special type of equipment...unfortunately i don't have that equipment" Hershel explained "there is a medical van in town but it's far...it would take a while to get there and back the boy might not have that time" Hershel explained further "and this van will have the equipment you need?" i asked "yes" he replied "well, it's worth the risk" i said rubbing my temples "i'll go" Rick offered "no way, he needs you here with him" isaid gesturing to Carl "i'll go" offered Shane "yeah i'll go too" Otis said "well, that's sorted" Hershel explained "hurry" i ordered and they nodded. I sighed and sat back down next to the unconscious Carl "are you ok (Y/N)?" Lori asked me "i'm fine" i said still in monotone "i'll be better after Carl's surgery" i explained, Lori nodded and took another seat next to Carl holding his other hand.

Rick paced back and forth as an hour passed "where are they?" he asked "they should be on their way back now" i contemplated Hershel came in to check on Carl "his condition has worsened i'm afraid that we don't have anymore time, we're going to need to do the surgery without the equipment but the chance of it being successful are low" Hershel explained as Lori started crying harder. I stood up "alright let's move him onto the table" Hershel ordered as his daughters brought in a metal operating table "1, 2, 3" and we heaved him onto the table. Hershel was about to make the incision when Shane busted in and haded over the equipment "well done" Hershel congratulated "uhh...thanks" Shane said "alright i think it's best if you step out during the surgery" Hershel offered, i nodded and walked out RIck and Lori following me.

'please make it through this Carl, i know you can do it, you have to push through...i really do need you...' i thought to myself as i took a seat in the living room my hands in my hair. Lori and Rick took a seat together closer to the door. I looked out the window and sighed wishing that time would go faster so that i could see Carl well again, of course that is assuming he survives the surgery but i can't think like that...he has to survive otherwise what else do i have left to keep me chained to this world. What else would keep me together? How would i live?