96

What was Namjoon getting at? "And are you telling me that not one of them thought of getting into your pants? At least a little? That college must be either a secret place for eunuchs or enroll the most heterosexual guys on the planet. But of course, since you grow cactus thorns the moment someone gets near you, they must have been just wusses who didn't dare to take things further." Jin pursed his lips. 

Had he lacked attention before? No, not necessarily. He had just chosen badly, and that was the thing that wasn't supposed to happen again. Right. 

He needed to get back to his original plan and find a way to explain to Namjoon why it was a bad idea to fool around together. "You're so quiet. Did you break many hearts back there?" Namjoon asked. "They must have expelled you on the grounds of being a heartbreaker."

"Oh, shut up, Kim, I wasn't expelled. For the record, you're not cute right now. And I didn't break anyone's heart."

More like the other way around and more. What else had his ex broken? His reputation? His family ties? No, he told himself stubbornly; it had been nothing but his fault, and his fault alone. As long as he kept telling himself that, he would remain in charge. 

People who held themselves accountable for their mistakes were in control of whatever happened to them

People who held themselves accountable for their mistakes were in control of whatever happened to them. "Okay, it looks like someone's grouchy when they're hungry," Namjoon commented cheerfully. "Even you'll have to smile once you taste this pizza."

"I smile all the time," Jin said as he tried to chase away the bad memories. Difficult conversations to be had or not, they could still have fun. And he very much wanted to taste that pizza, since Namjoon kept praising it.

There was something off about Jin tonight. He was guarded, a bit unhappy, even. Namjoon wanted nothing more than to ask him directly what was wrong, but the only thing stopping him was that he doubted he would get an honest answer. 

He didn't know Jin well, but hell if he didn't want to get there. Jin seemed a lot like someone used to keeping a lot to himself. Eighteen-year-olds weren't supposed to be so serious, and now that Namjoon had a chance to look at him from up close, he could see how his cold demeanor could be mistaken for arrogance. 

It wasn't that, though. Jin must have had some unhappy experiences in his life. So, it was all the more a win to see his face lighting up as he took in the colorful pictures on the menu. Behind that façade, there was a young man who could love passionately, as Namjoon would attest to anyone asking, and it was that part of Jin he wanted to drag out and keep out there so that the sun could shine upon it.

 Behind that façade, there was a young man who could love passionately, as Namjoon would attest to anyone asking, and it was that part of Jin he wanted to drag out and keep out there so that the sun could shine upon it

"What do you think?" he asked with a grin. "There are just so many choices," Jin replied, barely holding in his excitement. "I think I'll take this one."

"The Meat Lover," Namjoon drawled. "Apropos much?" Jin's eyes grew wide and then he pulled the menu closer. He was just too adorable when he got flustered like that. "I'll choose something else."

"No, no, no," Namjoon snatched the menu from him. "Come on, let's face it." He dropped his voice low and leaned over the table. "We're both meat lovers."