Saul Doesn't Listen

So Samuel said:

"Has the Lord as great delight
in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
As in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than
sacrifice.
And to heed than the fat of the rams.
For rebellion is as sin of witchcraft,
And stubbornness is as iniquity and
idolatry.
Because you have rejected
the word of the Lord,
He also has rejected you from being
king.
                     1 Samuel 15:22,23

     And Samuel went no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul, and the Lord regretted that He had made Saul King over Israel.
                      1 Samuel 15:35

Saul was the first king. God didn't want a king period - this is what the people wanted. Saul didn't do what God asked: God told him to utterly destroy the Amalekites, which Saul didn't do.
Saul saved what he thought was valuable - the king Agag, sheep and oxen that he said that he was going to sacrifice to God. He disobeyed God and tried to justify his actions. He destroyed the Amalekites, but not totally and utterly: he didn't do exactly what God asked. 
      Saul was no longer fit to rule in God's eyes.  God rejected Saul from being king.  Samuel said, "to obey is better than to sacrifice."  Samuel was not at all happy with the situation and with Saul.  This may explain it:

      But Samuel said, "As your sword has made women childless , so shall your mother be childless among women."  And Samuel hacked Agag in pieces before the Lord in Gilgal.
                      1 Samuel 15:33

     I better stop now.  My lack of understanding may get me into trouble with God.  I just think God is very patient with the ones He anoints.  He doesn't seem very patient with Saul; I know God has His reasons.  Forgive me, Father - I just want to understand. Tell God that you love Him.

Note - God is extremely patient.  Saul didn't do as God asked - end of story! 

     Love God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. Please read your Bible.