Stand By You

Dean Winchester x Reader

Synopsis: Song Challenge on Tumblr. Dean has the Mark and you're trying to stand by him even though he keeps trying to push you away.

It was crazy how one little thing could wreck your life. Turn your entire life upside down, and step on it as if it was nothing more than a bug. How it could make you see things differently. It could make you hate the color red, when it used to be your favorite color. But how could you love it anymore when it coated the hands of the man you loved. Red all around him as his eyes pleaded with you to understand, while at the same time empty of the nurturing soul you loved. Kneeling down, you had grabbed those hands, not caring the red transferred to you, that you were now tainted and stained.

"Dean." You breathed out, trying to hide your heartbreak as you stared at the shell of the man who used to be so strong, so fierce. Now he was like a puppet on string, doing the will of the Mark you despised. "Dean, please." You didn't know what you were begging him for. To maybe tell you he had no choice, that he had to kill these people or be killed in return. Or maybe you were pleading for him to assure you he was back to normal. That he wasn't going to kill you in heartbeat. Whatever it was, you couldn't get the rest of the words out.

Hands, put your empty hands in mine

And scars—show me all the scars you hide
And hey, if your wings are broken
Please take mine so yours can open, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you

It was hard, oh so hard, watching your tough man staring up at you like a broken child. "Dean, it's alright. I'm here." You promised him, squeezing his hands. With tears in your eyes, you watched as he tilted his head up, his gaze broken and confused. Tears shined in his eyes. "I did this." He muttered, glancing at the carnage around him, the blood the two of you were kneeling in. "Y/N, I'm a monster."

"No, no you're not." You assured him, reaching up to cup his cheek, but he pulled his head away from you, so fast. "It wasn't you."

Taking his hands from yours, he stared down at the red covering them. Dark and stained, they were the hands of a killer. But it wasn't your Dean who had done the killing, but the Mark controlling him. 

"It was my hands." He whispered, as if in a trance. "It was my body. I saw red, and I couldn't stop. I was possessed, and I couldn't stop. So much red."

Oh, tears make kaleidoscopes in your eyes
And hurt, I know you're hurting, but so am I
And, love, if your wings are broken
Borrow mine 'til yours can open, too
'Cause I'm gonna stand by you

"Dean, I know you blame yourself, that your hurting, but it wasn't you." You insisted again, watching as his tear filled eyes turned your way once again. The green even deeper with the pain and guilt he was feeling.

"You need to run. Leave me here and don't look back before you're laying on the ground like them." He pleaded with you. 

"I am not going anywhere. You need me with you now more than ever, and I refuse to just walk away and leave you here." You told him. "We made a promise, a long time ago. To stay with each other, through everything that might try to push us apart. I'm not running. I'm standing by you."

Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'm gonna stand by you
Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you

As your words sunk into his hazy and grief filled mind, he collapsed upon you, his arms wrapping tightly around you, his hand holding the back of your skull as he rocked back and forth. It was a hard thing to watch, the strong man turning into a broken one right in front of your eyes, but you knew he needed you now more than ever.