Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Dean x Reader

Dean was usually very good at hiding his emotions. More often than not his face was a mask, letting no one know how he truly felt. Including you, who knew him better than probably anyone. But you could still see the utter disappointment on his face when he listened to his half brother talking about the things his father did with him. Things that he never offered to do with Dean. Normal things, like going to a baseball game. Dean had immediately closed up, his face turning back into a mask, but you could still see the way his jaw clenched, his eyes hardened. His hands were curled in fists, and you weren't surprised when he suddenly walked out of the room, leaving you there with Sam and his half brother. It was just another glimpse of how horrid his childhood had been, how fast he had to grow up.

Your heart hurting for the man you loved, you tugged on Sam's sleeve, making the tall man bend down so you could whisper in his ear. "Sam, has Dean ever been to a baseball game?"

"Not that I know of," Sam answered. "Dad took us to a couple of cheesy wrestling tournaments, but that was it."

Sam's affirmation of your words made you immediately start planning. Sure, it wouldn't be the same, but maybe it would make Dean feel just a little bit better. Going to find Dean, to give him a shoulder if he needed it, you knew you had a little bit of time to put your plan in place.

Dean's birthday was a couple of months away, giving you plenty of time to get your plan in place. As the day of his birthday finally rolled around, you finished placing his presents in the birthday bag. With it secure in your hands, you went to find Dean, knowing he would probably be at his usual spot, and you were right. Lounging back in one of the wooden chairs, his feet propped up on the table, he was sipping a glass of whiskey. "Happy Birthday sweetheart," you said as you plopped the bag down in his lap.

Raising an eyebrow, he peered down at the bag in surprise. "Since when do we do gifts?" He asked, as you sat down next to him.

"Since now," you argued, before nodding towards the bag. "Now open it."

Doing as he was told, Dean opened the bag, pulling out a bag of peanuts, a foam finger, a shirt and two paper tickets. "What is this?" He asked, staring down at the gifts in confusion. "Wait, are these tickets to a baseball game?"

"Yep," you answered, waiting for his reaction. He seemed curious, but excited all the same, leaning over to press a kiss to your cheek as thanks. "Now, I know the game isn't for a while, but I wanted to do something fun. Something different. I saw how disappointed you looked when Adam spoke about the game, and I know I'm not your Dad. But it will still be fun."

"I can't wait," he assured you, smiling up at you. "Thank you sweetheart."

_________________________

It was almost two and a half months later before it was time to use the tickets. You smiled everytime you passed them, placed in honor on his nightstand. When it was finally game day, you woke to see Dean was already out of bed, the tickets and shirt gone from the nightstand. Quickly getting dressed in your own sports shirt, you went to find him. He was already in the garage, making sure Baby was ready for the trip, smiling up at you when he saw you standing there. "Ready?" He asked, opening the passenger door, and you nodded.

You could feel his excitement the entire trip to the stadium as he mumbled along to the music, pulling up to the stadium parking lot, parking at the end so his precious car stayed safe. Threading his fingers through yours, you stood in line at the ticket gate, Dean curiously staring at the crowd of people. "Don't worry," you whispered to him. "I don't think we're going to get ambushed by any monsters here."

Rolling his eyes at you, he handed over the tickets, the two of you finally in the stadium. Dean's eyes widened at all the food vendors, licking his lips in anticipation. "There's so much food!" He exclaimed, before you took his hand once again, pulling him away from the food and towards the field.

"Don't worry, we'll get plenty of food, but I want to see the rest of the stadium!" You insisted, watching as the home team started warming up. People had already started to fill the seats, while others shopped the merchandise booth. Giving in to Dean's stomach, you went back to the food line, settling for popcorn while Dean went all out. Buying a hot dog, nachos and a pretzel, along with beers for the both of you, he struggled to carry it all down to your seats.

With your fake credit card, you had got tickets close to the field, but down the line. It was the perfect day for a game, and you could have just sat there, your eyes closed, enjoying the sun all day.

Wrapping his arm around you, he munched happily away on his hot dog as the game started. You could see the huge smile on his face, the way his shoulders were relaxed, and you knew this was the right thing to do. He needed this, the relaxation, the chance to be a normal person without saving the world hanging over his head.

He caught you staring at him instead of the game, his hot dog halfway to his lips. "What? Do I have mustard on my face?"

"No," you assured him. "It's just nice. Seeing you carefree and happy."

Pulling you to him, he pressed a quick kiss to your forehead. "This was the best gift you could have given me. Thank you sweetheart."

Leaning back against him, you couldn't stop smiling, when a ball was hit your way. Sitting up, you watched as it came closer, worried that it might actually hit you. Dean moved his arm, easily reaching up and grabbing the ball before it crashed into you, chuckling as he handed you the ball. "As a hunter I thought your reflexes would be better."

"Hey, I'm good with vampires and werewolves, and throwing knives. But I've never had the chance to catch a baseball before," you argued.

"Well, there's a first time for everything," he said as he picked up his beer. "Including going to a baseball game. This has been perfect. And truthfully, I would rather my first baseball experience be with you, and not my Dad."

"Really?" You exclaimed, and he nodded. "This wouldn't have seemed right with my Dad. But being here, with you by my side. This is right, and I love that we have a new memory to share."

"Dean, you're just a hopeless romantic," you teased, before reaching over and stealing a nacho.