Soft Hearted Girl

Dean x Reader

Prompt: So I have this prompt idea... Not sure if you'll like it but, it's soooo been on my mind for a while I was thinking about a really open hearted reader, someone who trusts easily, and wears themselves thin trying to help others and always looks for the good in people((even monsters)) which tends to get them in bad situations((A LOT)) and I want to see one of our boys((or all)) struggling with trying to let the reader be themselves but also being majorly overprotective

"Sam, I know she's just trying to do what's best, but it scares the hell out of me!" Dean yelled, and you froze in the hallway. You could hear both brothers arguing in the kitchen, and it sounded like it was about you.

"Dean, Y/N has a big heart. We both know that. But if you try to squash it, you are killing what makes her, well her. Can't we just be more careful, make sure that things like this don't happen again?" Sam's voice rang out, and you were a little surprised he was siding with you. Dean was the one you were closer to. He was the one you found yourself clinging to in the middle of the night. He was your rock, the thing that kept you grounded. And now here he was, complaining about the very thing that he said he loved about you.

Sure, the last hunt hadn't gone very well, and you knew most of the blame was on you. After making the rounds, asking the friends of the victim's you had fallen for the act of the sweet old woman at the end of the street. She had told you stories of her past, giving you tea and cookies as you sat there listening to her. She was sweet, and old, and you had assured both Sam and Dean she had nothing to do with the case.

Of course, they had listened to you, turning instead towards the cop they didn't trust. In the process almost killing him and getting everyone killed in the process. You had just had such a hard time believing the sweet little lady was truthfully a full blown, angry witch.

Sam had been okay with it, giving your shoulder a sympathetic squeeze before climbing into the passenger seat. Dean's gaze on you was cold, full of fury, and you knew it was going to be a matter of time before he blew. Before he yelled at you.

Controlling himself, he had climbed in to the driver's seat, his knuckles white as he gripped the steering wheel. Curling in tight to the corner of the backseat, you stared out the window. You hadn't meant for anyone to get hurt. You wanted to help people, to save them before they turned out like your family, dead from the Supernatural. With tears in your eyes, you had stared out the window, hating the fact that you had made Dean so upset.

"Dean, I..." You finally started, not knowing exactly what to say, but knowing you needed to say something.

"Y/N, don't." He answered harshly, stopping you immediately. Sniffling, you had pulled on your headphones, getting lost in your own thoughts for the remainder of the trip.

Torn between wanting to go in, make Dean forgive you, and running away from the conflict, you forced yourself to move forward. Around the corner of the hallway, into the kitchen where both Sam and Dean were standing, nursing beers.

"There she is." Sam said softly, giving you a soft smile. But Dean only had a scowl on his face, and you knew forgiveness wouldn't be so easy.

"Sam, leave us." Dean ordered, his tone of voice booking no argument. Sighing, Sam walked by, his hand resting on your shoulder for a moment before vanishing from the room. "Y/N, sit."

"Dean, please. You have to know." You started babbling, and with a groan, he grabbed you by the upper arm, depositing you at the table.

"Y/N, listen. I know it wasn't truly your fault. That lady tricked you, and you believed her. But that's not the first time it's happened. Y/N, I know you want to help people, but you need to think! You can't just trust everyone!" He exclaimed, pacing back and forth in front of you.

Automatically tearing up, you knew he was right. "Dean, I know. And I'm so sorry. It won't happen again."

"No, it won't." He agreed. "Because you won't be going on another hunt to risk it."

"Dean, what..." You stuttered, not believing your ears. "You can't mean..."

"Oh, I mean it. I can't have you out there, risking us, risking you! It's not okay. One of these days it's going to end up worse. And I want to stop it before that happens. So, I'm doing the only thing I can think of. And that's sending you away. Not because I want to, but because I can't have anything happen to you. It's the only way."

"No Dean, it's not." You argued, sobbing as you reached up for him. He yanked his arm away, sending a deeper hole into your heart. "I can change. I promise!!"

"No, it's too late for that. You need to go live a life. A real life, with a husband, and a kid. Hell, even a dog. Far away from a hunting life, and the nightmares it provides." He insisted. "Sam and I are leaving on another hunt, and I want you gone from here when we return."

Without even a glance backwards, he left the room, leaving you standing there, your heart ripped apart and tossed on the ground.

Dean's POV

Leaving the kitchen was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Seeing her tears, knowing they were because of me, I almost turned back around, asking for her forgiveness. But it was too late, and it was for the best. I knew that. Even if my heart didn't agree.

"Sam, let's go." I growled, striding past my brother who was sitting at the library, his laptop unopened in front of him.

"Dean, what did you do?" He asked, but I just shook my head.

"Sammy, not now. Let's go." I growled again, and with a glance back towards the kitchen, he stood up, following me.

Silently, I climbed into the Impala, peeling the tires as I left the bunker, and my heart, far behind. As soon as Sam opened his mouth to speak, I turned on the radio, loud enough that I cut off any chance at a conversation with Sam.

That wasn't going to happen though. With a determined look on his face, he reached down, snapping the radio to off. "Dean, what the hell did you do?"

"What needed to be done." I answered. "Y/N is not meant for this life, so I sent her on. It's for the best."

"Damn it Dean. That's not your choice!" Sam spat, definitely upset with my decision.

"It doesn't matter. It's over now." I insisted. Soon the car turned to an awkward silence, filled with tension and anger. The anger waved off Sam in rolls, mad at me, and I didn't blame him. I had just sent his best friend away, without even so much as a goodbye.

Hours passed, and finally I pulled off into a small town, far away from the bunker, and Y/N. Instead of heading to the hotel, as Sam expected, I went straight to the bar. I needed something to get my mind off this, and whiskey was a start.

"Dean, this isn't a good idea. We should be heading back to the bunker, begging Y/N not to leave." Sam pleaded with me, but I strode into the bar, not even caring if he was following me. "Damn it Dean. I know Y/N is soft hearted, that she has a big heart that can get her into trouble. But that's why we need her with us. We need that kindness, that goodness to keep us sane in a world full of nothing but trouble."

Slumping my shoulders, I knew Sam was right. I had reacted so hot headed, without even thinking. All that had been running through my mind was the fact that I could have lost her, and that I couldn't have it again. Y/N meant so much to me. More than she even knew. Or Sam. At least I thought.

"Dean," Sam continued softly. "I know how you feel about her. And that you were scared. But please, make this right."

"I don't know how." I whispered, as I stared down at the amber liquid in my cup. "It's probably too late."