Stolen Away

Boring. That's what you called your life ever since you had left behind hunting. Mundane, or boring. None of the fear and thrills of hunting, the worry that you might not make it through the night alive.

Sure, it sounded like you were complaining. But you weren't. Boring was exactly what you had needed. After that ghoul had killed your sister and almost claimed your life, it's the only thing that helped you survive.

A small house in a small town. A normal nine to five job where you bagged groceries for your neighbors. You'd order pizza every Friday night from the Mom and Pop shop a block away from your place. Breakfast was always at the local bakery on Sundays.

You could finally wake up with a smile on your face, your body no longer tense with anxiety and fear. Sure, you missed certain things about your old life. A certain someone with mesmerizing green eyes. But you couldn't go back. Not even for him.

Sitting on your second-hand leather loveseat, you barely paid attention to the romantic movie playing on the screen. Your cat, Snuffles, was curled up in your lap, and you absently ran your hair along her silky grey fur.

Normally nights like tonight were a balm to your soul. But there was an energy to the air. One you hadn't felt since you had last hunted. And it had you on edge, ready to reach for the knife you kept in the end table.

"Relax Y/N," you muttered to yourself, taking a deep breath as you tried to focus back on the movie. Snuffles jumped off your lap, hissing as she looked towards the door just as the doorbell rang.

You still hadn't made that many friends in this small town, so your doorbell didn't ring often. Your heart racing, you pulled the knife out, cautiously moving towards the front door. Peering through the window, your eyes widened at the sight in front of you. The man you had never thought you would see again.

"Dean?" You called through the door as you cautiously opened it. "How did you find me?"

"Nice to see you too," he muttered, leaning against the door frame. "It was easy. You always told me your plans if you got out."

It was true. Often at night, while Sam and your sister were asleep, the two of you would talk about the future. What would happen if you didn't have to hunt anymore. "You gonna let me in?"

While still being cautious, you opened the door, reaching for the items you kept beside it. Just in case. Always ready.

"You don't mind me testing you?" You asked him, holding out the silver knife. Rolling his eyes, he grabbed the knife, easily nixing the shifter thought. You tossed the holy water on him, relieved when nothing happened.

It was then you finally let yourself feel. For the first time in years, you relaxed, smiling widely as you threw yourself into his arms. "Dean, I've missed you so much!"

"I've missed you too sweetheart," he answered, holding on tight. "But this isn't just a social call."

"I figured as much," you sighed. "But Dean, I'm past that. I haven't hunted in years. I don't know if I can. Or if I want to."

He sank down on your couch, patting the cushion beside you. "I know. And if this wasn't important, I wouldn't be here. But Y/N, it's Sammy."

Those were the words you feared the most. Because you knew you wouldn't be able to say no. Sighing, you ran your hand through your hair. "How bad is it?"

"Bad," he answered, reaching for and taking your hand. He stared deep at you, and you finally took a moment to stare back. The years had been kind to Dean. Sure, there were a couple more lines on his face and some more scars along his arms. But he hadn't changed much. As much as you thought you had changed. "Y/N, I'm not sure if he's even alive still."