Stop Three

"Rosé?"

Jennie popped her head in and saw that Rosé was busy scribbling something in a notebook, unaware that they had arrived.

"Rosé"

She stopped writing and looked up. Jennie indicated for her to move and she gathered her handbag. Holding the door for her, the brunette held out a hand. Rosé accepted it and hopped out of the car. As Rosé moved pass her, Jennie smelt a hint of vanilla and something else.

"Thank you," she said. Looking at the building, Rosé turned around.

"Uhm..." her eyes lowered. Jennie had opened her door and was basically one foot in the car.

"Do you have somewhere else to go now?" asked Rosé. Moving her foot out the car, Jennie shook her head.

"No, I need to pick up Jisoo in an hour and half. I was going to wait for you to finish, then take you home. Since it said in the book you just need to run an errand," said Jennie unsure if Rosé's plans had changed.

"Okay, would you like to join me?" it came out in a whisper and Jennie stepped forward.

"Sorry?"

"Uhm...well, I'm gonna look for another guitar. Since, you know, you'll just be waiting anyway I figured you can help me choose," said Rosé, she gave the brunette a hopeful look.

Jennie looked off to the side, contemplating. Was it appropriate for her to accept? In fact, has it been okay to be acting the way she has with Rosé? Uncomfortable, by the thought, she shook her head.

"It's okay, I'll just wait," said Jennie. Rosé gazed at her, before bowing her head, almost sadly.

"No problem, I won't be long," she said and walked towards the store. Jennie watched her stride off and it felt like her heart dropped. Biting her lip, she slammed the door shut and locked the car.

Running quickly, she took off her hat. Catching up to the blonde, she slowed down. Rosé stopped, eyebrows raised, she looked between Jennie and the car. Clutching on to the hat with one hand, the brunette placed the other in her pocket. Rosé grinned at her.

"Let's go," said Jennie, trying to shrug off the little victory she just gave the blonde. Head down, Rosé couldn't stop smiling as they walked in to the store.

Though the store appeared to be small from the outside, Jennie followed Rosé down a set of stairs and was welcomed by lines of instruments. There was no sign of a clerk but Rosé seemed to know her way around.

Jennie's eyes roved over the vast array of instruments. She'd never seen so many and they were in top condition. Rosé continued to walk ahead of her, herself looking around. Jennie slowed as she caught sight of a black piano.

It was hidden away, behind two chello's and a bigger brown piano. Curious, she made her way towards it. As she neared it was clear that it wasn't as new as the instruments that surrounded it. Dragging her fingers lightly across, she felt a few chips on its casing.

There was a bench seat by the brown piano. Placing her hat down , she picked it up and placed it by the black one. Not knowing why, but she felt like she could relate to the instrument. Alone, rugged, standing in the shadows of things that shine brighter.

Sitting down, her fingers had a mind of their own. The ringing of the cords bounced around her as she played. Gliding through the air, her hands danced its way around the black and white keys. She felt like the piano was speaking to her. Be gentle, it said, be gentle with me.

And Jennie understood. She played without thought, it just flowed from her. Finishing, Jennie placed her hands on her lap, sitting still for a moment. When she turned she saw Rosé standing quietly. Jennie's breath hitched as she abruptly stood up, bending to pick up her hat, she bowed deeply.

"I...I'm so sorry, I don't...I uhm," she stood up straight, not really knowing what to say. Rosé walked over to her and took a hold of her hand. Guiding her back to the piano, she sat them both down.

Jennie's chest rose in nerves. Was she even allowed to play the thing? She couldn't look at the woman next to her but was forced to when she felt soft fingers raise her hand. Rosé reached for Jennie's other hand, and clasped both together.

Lowering her head, she kissed them softly. Jennie resisted the urge to jerk her arms away. Rosé's lips felt too tender, to react harshly. The blonde looked up at her, with eyes that pulled her in, as if to say...let me hold you...

"I wonder," began Rosé, "what these hands had to go through, to produce one of the loneliest sounds I've ever heard," she released Jennie's hands and moved her own over the keys.

"My mother...she use to sing it to me," said Jennie, "It's stuck with me ever since."

"It suits you," nodded Rosé and Jennie felt her hands begin to tremble. She placed them in her pockets.

"You play beautifully...as if...as if it's you're last. It's not easy to do that, It made me feel, Jennie. Struggling musicians all over the world often aren't able to do that. To make people feel," said Rosé as she waltzed her fingers over the keys.

"Thank you," whispered Jennie, she stole a glance at Rosé but averted her eyes the moment the blonde turned to her.

"It's a pleasure," she smiled. She stood up and looked intently at the piano, "I'll remember this," she said. Jennie didn't know what she meant by that. Rosé smiled at the confusion on her face.

"This moment. I'll remember, how you played. How it made me feel...how you made me feel," she said softly and Jennie's heart beat jumped.

"I have no words to that," she said.

"Sometimes they aren't necessary," said Rosé and Jennie was struck by how quiet it was. It was like they were the only two people in this whole place and the way Rosé was currently looking at her, it felt like she was the only one the blonde saw.

Self-conscious, she got up and placed on her hat. She looked towards Rosé and they began to continue walking through the store. They'd passed countless different guitars, but Jennie noticed Rosé barely took note of them. It was as if she was looking for something specific.

"How long have you played the guitar?"

"Since I could flick my fingers," said Rosé.

"Do you play in you're spare time?"

"I still have private lessons for it. My father insists and so I must," Rosé's voice sounded strained.

"Are you okay with that?" asked Jennie.

"There was a time, very long ago, when I was. But now, I don't know. Music shouldn't feel forced," Rosé looked around.

"Yeah, it shouldn't. I was also thrown in the deep end. Mom, just chucked me in to piano lessons. But I came to really enjoy it. There were days where my music class was my happy place," smiled Jennie.

"When did those days stop?" Jennie paused at the odd question. She thought for a bit, but her eyebrows furrowed.

"I don't know," she said. She didn't like that she didn't have a concrete answer. When did her happiness stop? Her hands curled in to fists inside her pockets.

"Alright," said Rosé as she looked at her, "Let's go."

"But you haven't found a guitar yet?"

"It's okay, I found something better," said Rosé and smiled as she indicated for Jennie to follow her out. Walking back up the stairs, they passed an old man with an employee tag. Greeting him, Jennie wondered if he worked completely alone.