Drive Forty Nine

Rosé watched astutely as her sister paced in front of her. They'd been in Jisoo's office for just over five minutes now but still hadn't begun to talk. To Rosé it had seemed that Jisoo wanted to speak first, so she was waiting. But her sister just kept on pacing, biting her fingernails.

"Jisoo," Rosé saw her eyes move up, "I think you should sit down," she directed with her eyes to the chair behind the desk.

"Yeah, maybe I should," said Jisoo as she pulled out the chair.

"Can we talk now?" Rosé wasn't in a hurry but was curious as to what was making her sister act this way.

"Yeah," Jisoo was still in her own head.

"Well there's some things I need to tell you. I want to apologize to you because I haven't been fully honest with you," started Rosé. Jisoo nodded, indicating her to continue.

"My research...I," Rosé breathed, "My research isn't just about finding Jennie in this narrative and expanding the map we have. I'm also looking for certain items in each narrative," taking out her phone, Rosé searched for something before handing the phone to her sister.

Taking it, Jisoo saw that it was a list. Some of the items had ticks next to them while others didn't. It was an indication of how many travels Rosé must have done, without the rest of their knowledge. Handing it back, she sighed.

"Do the others know?"

"Not all of them."

"Do you take the items with you?"

"Yes, I've collected them in one specific narrative. A happier one," Rosé smiled as she thought of her and Jennie's cuddling sessions.

"By you taking these things, does it have an effect on the narrative they come from?"

"It does, I think," shrugged Rosé. Jisoo blanched.

"And your not worried that could effect all the other narratives?"

"What would it matter if I said that if I got all of these items together, that it could put an end to the curse," Rosé knew she had her sister's attention now.

"How?"

"I don't know yet but I'm working on it. Jaehyun's helping me and we have a working theory that if we can get these items all together and destroy them, then it could end the cycle," said Rosé.

"How did you come to that conclusion?"

"We've read a lot on Ancient Mercian Mythology," began Rosé but Jisoo held up her hand.

"Mercian Mythology? Chae the Mercian religion died out decades ago in our original narrative."

"I know but there is truth in their teachings and in each narrative I've traveled to so far, I have found a Mercian text. Also one of their stories is so close to mine and Jennie's that I wonder if we weren't the original basis for it," said Rosé and Jisoo shook her head in disbelief.

"So now you're a Messiah?"

"Chu, that is not what I'm saying. We've also tracked patterns in each narrative that have led us to this conclusion."

"How did you come up with the list? And how do you know which narrative as an item in it or do all of them have one?"

"No, it's specific narratives. We came up with the list by following the list of items in the Mercian text I believe mine and Jennie's story is a replica of. And the thing is," Rosé bit her lip, "We don't know which narratives, have items. But all our guess have been correct so far. Except for two or three."