Gotta Go (Phoenix x Maya)

A/N: This chapter is going to be based off of the song 'Gotta go my own way'. You all probably know it.

Requested by Goldprincess1

The train was going to leave soon. She placed the letter on the table. She smiled at his sleeping figure on the sofa. She needed to train and become a full fledged spirit medium. For him and for herself. She remembered every word in that letter. Writing it made her heart ache. It said:

Hey Nick,

By the time you read this, I'll probably be on a train back to the village. I just wanted to say that I'll miss you but I also gotta say what's on my mind before I go. You are a great lawyer and an even better friend. Don't ever give up being a lawyer. It's your special calling. Anyways, I just couldn't stay because something about us didn't seem right and life kept getting in the way. My training was in the way. I'm going to train a lot and get better at channeling just for you!

I know that you would've wanted me to stay but it never would've worked out. Whenever we tried, somehow, the plan was always rearranged. So, don't worry about me. Tell everyone that I said I'll miss them. It wasn't you, but, I've got to do what's best for me. You'll be ok, Nick! I just have to go on and I just don't belong here, yet.  I hope you understand. We might meet again in this world someday, but for now, I gotta go my own way.

Sincerely Maya

She left the office and headed to the train station. It was busy inside. Families were boarding trains and couples were saying their goodbyes. She sat on a nearby bench as she waited for her train. She was going to train and get better before coming back. Running footfalls approached her, "M-Maya!" She turned in shock, "N-Nick!" He caught his breath, "You're really leaving?" She nodded and frowned, "I don't wanna leave it all behind, but I get my hopes up and I watch them fall every time!" She closed her eyes, "Another color turns to gray and it's just too hard to watch it all slowly fade away."

Phoenix held her hands, "I know you want to train, but don't go if you aren't doing it for yourself." Maya pulled away from him, "I'm leaving today, cause I gotta do what's best for me. You'll be okay! I've got to go on and I just don't belong here. I hope you understand." Phoenix went to speak but she cut him off, "We might find a place in this world someday, but at least for now, I gotta go my own way." She stood and began to walk away. He called out to her, "What about us? What about everything we've been through?" She turned, "I gotta leave but I'll miss you." Phoenix shook his head, watching as Maya began to shake, "I want you to stay!"

Then, Maya's train was called. Maya gave a sad smile, "I gotta go my own way Nick, goodbye." With that, she turned and bolted through the crowd. Phoenix saw her for a few more seconds before she disappeared into the crowd. Phoenix turned and walked out of the station. Questions without answers began to plague his mind. He wanted to ask her, 'What about us?', but he knew that she was too emotional then, to give him a straight answer. She wasn't like the witnesses in court. He couldn't press all of the answers out of her.

No amount of evidence would've made her talk or rethink anything. The office felt emptier now. Maya wasn't there to talk to him about the Steel Samurai or the newest burger joint opening downtown. New cases came and went, but each one felt like a hollow victory without Maya there to congratulate him. Slowly, but surely, he began to go his own way.

Without Maya.