My King (King! Edgeworth x Guard! reader)

A/N: In this one, the reader is the captain of the guard and commander of the king's army.

Your Pov:

I stood in front of the king as he listed the battle plan to each troop. We were at war with the Von Karma kingdom. They had killed hundreds of innocent citizens and were making bases in parts of our kingdom. King Edgeworth turned to me, "Captain (L/n), I expect to hear good news when you return." I nodded and bowed, "Yes, your majesty." Then, I turned towards the troops, "Move out to your positions!"

They all filed out of the throne room with me behind them. King Edgeworth gave us one plan, but I couldn't go through with it. The day before, I rounded up 10 soldiers and explained my plan to them: In the early morning, the 10 soldiers and I would go to Von Karma castle and bomb it. This would end the war and save our kingdom.

We headed out of the castle and into forest. We split in the middle of the forest to send the troops to their locations. After that, my group and I headed on to Von Karma castle. After hours of walking, we arrived. The castle was unguarded. We quickly planted the explosives in the castle and ran for cover. But before I could get to safety, the explosion occurred.

The blow knocked me to the ground and my vision started to fade. The last thing I saw was my group picking me up and running back into the forest as the castle burned.

I awoke in the castle infirmary. The sound of doctors and other soldiers filled the air. I tried to sit up and groaned as pain shot through my torso. I laid back down on the pillow as footsteps thudded towards my curtain. The curtain was pushed aside as the king entered. He spoke, "You damned idiot!" I spoke, "I-I'm alive." He frowned, "And lucky to be so. Your men brought you in. You've been out for 5 days." I closed my eyes and sighed. He growled, "Open your eyes and explain to me!" I sat up slowly.

"I sent the first two troops to the agreed upon locations, but I took the last group of 10 to Von Karma castle." He looked at me sternly, "And?" I continued, "We planted explosives inside the castle and detonated them. I was caught in the explosion." He sighed angrily, "You're lucky that I didn't kick you out of the castle for your actions! It will take them years to reconstruct the castle! You killed thousands of their people."

I looked at him, noticing that his appearance was still pristine, letting me know that he didn't set foot on the battlefield. I spoke, "Don't guilt trip me on this. They killed our people as well. How many of of our soldiers are dead?" He scoffed, "None, somehow. Those that surrendered are in the dungeon. Von Karma has fled. The war is over." I sat up straighter.

"So then what you're saying, is that it worked?" The king looked at me, anger evident in his gaze, "Yes, it worked, but even though Von Karma brought the war to us, we didn't have to return the favor. This is bad."

I frowned, "You know as well as I do that you would've wanted to go out honorably, but-" He cut me off, "Don't use that excuse. I think I know the true reason for your change of plans. You wanted me to stay off the field." I scoffed, "So what if I did?! You are a king to thousands of people."

"I would've rather died in your place, than to let the kingdom suffer without a king! You are expected to give your people hope, but you can't do that if you're dead! Your arrogance binds you! You'd rather die for the glory of being remembered as a hero in a thousand books!" He glared at me.

"You know nothing. I should've known better than to make a woman a captain." With that, he stormed out, pushing the curtain behind him. Everyone in the infirmary was silent.