A Tale of Woe (Manfred Von Karma x Reader)

No One's Pov:

Phoenix and Maya sat in the visitation room, talking to Edgeworth. They wanted to know more about Von Karma. Why he was so cold, why he was so hell-bent on winning, and why he took in his enemy's son. Edgeworth sighed, "The fact of the matter is, Manfred Von Karma's tale is sad. Horribly sad actually. You'll probably end up crying, but I'll tell to you, if you really want me to." Phoenix nodded, "Please. We can take it." Edgeworth nodded and continued onto his story.

"In that case, get ready. Von Karma's tale of woe goes something like this." He spoke, "Von Karma was once married. He had a wife of enduring beauty named (Y/n). The two of them were madly in love, the sort of love reserved for fairy tales." He took a breath, "Now, Von Karma was a renowned prosecutor, so he was away from home for long periods. (Y/n) never complained though, and always waited faithfully for Von Karma's return. And Von Karma, his eye never drifted. He loved only (Y/n), truly and deeply. So they lived and found happiness where they could."

He sighed, "And all was good, for a time...But not all good things can last.was a particularly icy winter when it happened...(Y/N) fell ill. A virus? A passing cold? No one knew, but it soon turned serious. Von Karma, at sea on a long, lonely trip, knew nothing of his bride's suffering. By the time he returned, (Y/n) had succumbed. She was gone. Von Karma, of course, blamed himself. "My loving wife perished because of me... If I was not on that trip, I could have nursed her to health. I could have saved her." ...He was overcome with such thoughts."

Phoenix could hear Maya sniffling next to him as Edgeworth continued, "They tormented him always, haunting his sleep. He has never gone overseas again." Edgeworth looked at them, "You know his tale now...so, tell me: do you still want to know more?" Phoenix sighed, "Yes...We have no choice." Edgeworth nodded, "Very well. I understand. If you're that determined, then...could you do something for me?" Phoenix nodded and Edgeworth looked sad, "On her deathbed, (Y/n) wrote Von Karma a final letter."

Edgeworth frowned, "You'll find it in my office, in the desk. I don't know what's written inside...but I can tell you what she told me as she lay dying: 'If I should succumb to this plague, and if my love should blame himself for my death...Then give this letter to him, so he may hear my voice.' It was her last request. But when I saw Von Karma in misery, trying to forget the pain as he mourned his wife... I just couldn't bring myself to present this letter to him. I've regretted it ever since." He spoke, "Please...go find and take the letter, and do the deed I was too cowardly to do: take it to Von Karma." Phoenix and Maya stood.

Phoenix spoke, "Alright Edgeworth. You feel better, ok?" The two headed to Edgeworth's private office and found the letter in the drawer. The envelope was faded and old. They left the office, but coincidentally bumped into Von Karma on the way out. Phoenix held out the letter, "Edgeworth asked us to give you this." Von Karma took the letter reading the writing on the front, "This is...(Y/n)'s hand writing."  He turned and walked into his own office. The two turned and left, hoping the letter helped.

Manfred opened the letter, eyes carefully reading each word.

My love: if you're reading this letter, then I am no longer by your side. Because fate has stepped between us, I have decided to write you this letter. If you're reading this, I must have passed away while you were out on your trip...I can only assume that you will blame yourself for it, my sweet Manfred.

Although my life was short, you gave me more than a lifetime's worth of joy. Though you will mourn, I beg that you remember that time, like love, is a tide. You are one with the court, as you were one with me.

Do not lose both your life's loves...

He sighed, feeling the weight of the guilt leaving him, bit by bit.

"Yes, love...I was happy...My sweet, sweet (Y/n)...I love you still."