Bad Day (Young! Edgeworth x Sick! Reader)

Requested by Lucy_Edgeworth

A/N: This takes place during the trial for the murder of Valerie Hawthorne. The reader is a witness in the trial.

Your Pov:

I sat in the courtroom, waiting to be called to the stand. I didn't even want to come to court today, but I had no choice. I had went to the doctor yesterday after displaying several concerning symptoms. The doctor examined me and ran a few tests before delivering the devastating news: I had cancer.

At first, I thought he was joking, but once I saw the sad look in his eyes, I knew he was telling the truth. He told me that since they caught it at an earlier stage, it may be able to be cured. The only bad news was that the treatment costed thousands of dollars that I didn't have. And so, I broke down in the hospital in front of the doctor. He told me the same thing he had probably told a number of patients. He told me that he was 'Terribly sorry' and said that 'He'd look into a cheaper alternative'. I left the hospital knowing that I was probably going to die either way.

I was knocked out of my thoughts by the bailiff calling me, "Witness, you've been called to the stand." I nodded silently and made my way into the courtroom. I took my place behind the podium. To my left, a man stood at the prosecution's desk. He looked rather young, possibly 20 or 21 years old. I was only 19 myself, so I would know. He spoke, "Witness, please state your name and occupation for the court." I nodded and spoke, "My name is (Y/n) (L/n). I am a nature photographer." The judge then spoke, "Witness, please testify about what you saw concerning the murder on Dusky Bridge." I spoke, "Yes your honor." I could tell I sounded sad.

"I was in the wooded area by Dusky Bridge trying to photograph some of the new animals. As I got closer to the tree line, I noticed two women talking. The first woman was in a police uniform and the other was in a pink and white dress." I coughed into my handkerchief and continued, "The woman in the uniform turned to walk away and the girl in the dress pulled out a knife before stabbing her in the back. After that, the girl in the dress put the body in the trunk and pulled a uniform out of her bag and changed into it before heading towards the bridge. Then, I fled down the mountain to the police checkpoint."

The defense attorney cross-examined me. She was a pretty woman. After the cross-examination, I was sent back to the court lobby to wait. About half an hour later, I heard the court fly into an uproar. The door opened and the bailiffs brought the red headed girl out in handcuffs. The court was adjourned and the prosecutor came over to me, "Ms.
(L/n), if I may ask, you seemed upset when you testified. You didn't know the victim anf there's no other reason." I sighed, "Thank you for your concern, Mr. Edgeworth, but you wouldn't understand."

He tilted his head, "And why not?" I stood up, "I...I was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. I didn't want to even be here today, but I had to be." He gave me a sympathetic glance, "I apologize for prying, but I send my condolences to your family." I shook my head, "There's no need, Mr. Edgeworth. They're all dead and gone." He spoke, "Oh, I didn't mean-" I looked down, "No. Don't apologize. You didn't know." He frowned, "What about your treatments?" I looked at him, "I cannot afford them. I don't know what else to do." He hesitated for a moment before handing me his business card. On the back was his cellphone number. He spoke up.

"Call me when you go to your next appointment. I'll pay for your treatment." My eyes widened, "B-But why?! You barely know me!" He shook his head, "While that is true, I also know that you are a good person. You do not deserve this." I felt tears welling up in my eyes, "Thank you."

After the next appointment...

Miles stood from the chair and hugged me. The doctor just made arrangements for my first treatment. A few nurse and doctors walked past the door. One in particular sadly mumbled, "No one really realizes how short the time is..." I hugged Miles tighter, "Once I get better, I'll make sure to pay you back somehow." He looked at me, "Seeing you healthy is enough payment for me."

He grasped my hands, "After you get better, I want to get to know you better and maybe take you on a...date." I giggled, "I'd love that."

And we both kept our words. I was able to overcome and beat my cancer. It was a hard and strenuous journey, but I did it. When the doctor announced that I was cured, Miles actually smiled. He hugged me tight and I think he even cried a little. He still denies the crying bit to this day. Nevertheless, I am thankful for Miles and all that he's done for me. Without him, I wouldn't be alive.

Sitting at the table, we were on our date. I grabbed his hands and spoke, "Thank you, Miles Edgeworth. For everything." Then, I kissed him.

"I love you."

"I love you too."