Headhunters: Part 3

Dipper's p.o.v.

"Diddly diddly dit," Mabel then says, shaking her ID a bit. "Works for me," The guard says with a shrug as he opens the door for us. We walk through the messy bar and glance at everyone as we looked for Manly Dan when Mabel stepped over someone who was passed out on the floor. "He's resting," She said. "Alright, let's just try to blend in ok?" I say, Mabel, giving me an ok as (y/n) and I headed farther into the bar. "You got it Dipping Sauce!" Eventually, we spot Manly Dan going against the Biceptius machine and we quickly approached.

"Manly Dan! Just the guy we wanted to see, where were you last night?" I ask eyeing him suspiciously as he tells us "Punching the clock." "You were at work?" (y/n) asks to clarify and he shakes his head soon pointing to a window. "No! I was punchin' that clock!" I turn to see the clock had indeed been punched the time was stuck at ten o'clock. "Ten o'clock...The time of the murder..." I mutter when I hear (y/n) whisper in my ear, her breath tickling my ear slightly, and just like earlier, a small shiver went up my spine.

"Show him the ax, he might know something that could lead us to another clue," I nod as I pull the ax out of my bag and show it to Manly Dan. "So I guess you've never seen...This before?!" "Listen little girls!" "Hey actually I'm-" I tried to correct him but I wasn't given the chance. "I wouldn't pick my teeth with that ax, it's left-handed! I only use my right hand. THE MANLY HAND!"

He breaks off the robotic arm and starts using it to punch the head of Bicepticus, Tyler as (y/n) told me ran up going "Get 'em! Get 'em!!!!" "Left-handed..." I mumbled and we head back to Mabel. "Mabel big break in the case!" I tell her and we race outside, the guy she was sitting with shouting "But will she love me?!"

(y/n)'s p.o.v.

"It's a left-handed ax, (y/n) is writing down all our suspects, Manly Dan is right-handed, that means all we gotta do is find our left-handed suspect and we've got our killer," Dipper explains to Mabel as I created a list of everyone in town with a row of checkboxes for left and right hands. "Man, we are on fire today!" Mabel exclaims soon making shooting noises. "Let's find that murderer," Dipper says and we fist bump. The rest of the day was spent going around town finding left-handed people ranging from Maguget, the free pizza wearing shirt guy, random people on the street, we even found a guy who had broken both his hands.

 Soon though we learned everyone here was right-handed until there was one person left on the suspect list. "Guys! There's only one person left on the suspect list!" I exclaim after scratching out the last right-handed suspect and looked at the list.

"Of course! It all adds up!" Mabel says and after quickly confirming that they were left-handed we also learned they had a hole in their shoe. We were now at the Gravity Falls Gossiper Office with the police.

"You kids better be right about this or you'll never hear the end of it," Blubs tells us and Dipper gives him a confident nod stating "The evidence is irrefutable." "It's so irrefutable," Mabel confirms as Durland gets excited. "I'ma get to use my nightstick!" "On three. One. Two-" Dipper starts to countdown when they burst through the door.

"Nobody move this is a raid!" "What is this some kind of raid?!" Toby asks, falling out of his chair, Durland breaking a lamp. "Toby Determined you're under arrest for the murder of the wax body of Grunkle Stan," Dipper says, Mabel soon chiming in. "You have the right to remain impressed with our awesome detective work," We high-five. "Gobbling goose feathers! I don't understand!" Toby says getting up and I explain it to him. "Then allow me to explain: You were hoping that Grunkle Stan's new attraction would be the story that saved your failing newspaper but when the show was a flop you decided to go out and make your own headline."

 "But you were sloppy! And all the clues led to a shabby shoed reporter who was caught left-handed," Dipper finishes explaining as Mabel takes a news article and crumples it up, throwing it in the trash telling him. "Toby Determined, you're yesterday's news." "Boy, your little knees must be tired...From jumping to conclusions! I had nothing to do with that murder."

Toby says doing a little happy dance. "We knew it!" Dipper started to say when what Toby said actually processed. "Wait what?" Mabel, Dipper, and I asked, visibly confused as Blubs asks "Then where were you the night of the break-in?"

Toby quickly looked embarrassed as he pulled up the security footage tape. We all watch in disgust as Toby pulls out a cardboard cut out of Sandra Herminez and starts making out with it. "Finally we can be alone, cardboard cutout of female news reporter Sandra Herminez!" "Timestamp confirms it, Toby you're off the hook...You freak of nature." "Hooray!" He shouts while Dipper and I gave each other confused looks. 

"But it has to be him! Check the ax for fingerprints!" Dipper says only to be met with no fingerprints. "No prints at all." "No...Prints?" I question this was getting more and more confusing by the minute! "Hey I got a headline for ya: City kids and girl waste everyone's time!" Durland mocks as they started laughing at us.

Dipper's p.o.v.

The grown-ups had started laughing at us only making us feel worse, how could we have gotten it wrong? The whole way back to the Mystery Shack I was thinking it over. All the clues had led to Toby, there was a motive, and as far as it was proven he was the only left-handed person with a hole in his shoe! Yet he wasn't the murderer, how was this possible? We glumly walk in as Grunkle Stan asks "Did you kids find the murderer?" With a sigh (y/n) tells him "We thought we did but the person we suspected didn't do it..." "Well thanks for tryin' kids c'mon the ceremony's about to start," Grunkle Stan told us and we headed into the parlor room where the funeral was being held. 

"Kids...Soos...Lifeless wax figures, thank you all for coming. Some people might say it's wrong for a man to love a wax replica of himself," Grunkle Stan says starting his speech when Soos hopped out of his chair shouting "They're wrong!" "Easy Soos. Wax Stan...I hope you're pickin' pockets in wax heaven, I'm sorry I got glitter in my eye!"

Grunkle Stan runs out of the room, Soos running after him. "Those cops were right..." I grumble still feeling glum, (y/n) goes to touch my shoulder but stops, glances at the ground before putting her hand on my shoulder stating "Dipper we've come so far, we can't give up now." "Yeah!" Mabel shouts as I get up and pace. "But we've considered everything, the weapon, the motive, the clues," I walk past the coffin when I see a hole in Wax Stan's shoe.