Tourist Trapped: Part 1

Dipper's p.o.v.

Ah, Summer break...A time for leisure, recreation, taken her easy...Unless your me. We crashed through the Gravity Falls welcome sign and fell back onto the path, racing over a hill as the trees behind us started to fall. "It's getting closer!" I hear (y/n) shout as she looked behind us at the giant monster chasing us. The cart drives over a rock, helping us escape from the clutches of the monster. My name is Dipper, the girl about to puke is my sister Mabel and the girl in the back holding onto the bar and the seat for dear life is my friend (y/n).

You may be wondering what we're doing in a golf cart, fleeing from a creature of unimaginable horror. We all poke our heads out to see a shadow of a tree looming over us, it crashes in our path, Mabel shouting "Look out!" We swerve to the side and crash into the side of the Mystery Shack. Rest assured, there's a perfectly logical explanation...Let's rewind. It all began when our parents decided we could use some fresh air, they shipped us up north to a sleepy town called Gravity Falls, Oregon to stay at our Great Uncle's house in the woods.

 We stepped off the bus and looked at the Mystery Shack as it was called and a puff of smoke appeared, revealing our Uncle. We stepped into the gift shop and looked around at the 'mysteries' when we were pulled aside to meet the other workers: Soos, Wendy, and...(y/n). (y/n) was strange, she looked to be about mine and Mabel's age but...

Somehow she had gotten her hair, skin, and clothes to be all different shades of grey, even her eyes were a dulled grey, it honestly really crept me out but she didn't seem like a bother, she led us to the attic where we'd be staying. There were two beds put off the sides at the end of the attic.

In between the beds was one of those window seats and to the sides closer to the door was a dresser and a desk. "The window seat is my bed, I don't use the desk so you can do what you want with it and the bottom drawers of the dresser are yours to put your clothes in." I hear (y/n) mumble below a whisper. Mabel instantly started decorating her side of the attic as she exclaimed "This attic is amazing, check out all my splinters!"

 I back up to where my bed was as I looked around when I heard a baa behind me and I turn around to see a goat on my bed. "And there's a goat on my bed." "Hey friend, oh! Yes, you can keep chewing on my sweater." Mabel said as the goat began to eat her sleeve. My sister tended to look on the bright side of things, but I was having a hard time getting used to my new surroundings, I watched as Mabel tumbled around in the grass shouting, and then there was our Great Uncle Stan.

"BOO!" I jumped back to face a sea monster mask and my Grunkle Stan started to laugh. That guy, our Uncle had turned his house into a tourist trap he called the Mystery Shack. The real mystery was why anyone came.

"Ladies and gentlemen behold The Sascrotch!" Grunkle Stan gestured to a sasquatch wearing underwear and the crowd started taking photos. And guess who had to work there? I let out a sigh as I continue to sweep, Mabel getting her hand smacked for touching the merchandise. It looked like it was gonna be the same boring routine all Summer until one fateful day...

(y/n)'s p.o.v.

I watched as Mabel poked her head out from the bobblehead Stan's as she whispered "He's looking at it, he's looking at it!" I turned my attention to the boy she was talking about as he unfolded a piece of paper and read out loud "Uh, Do you like me? Yes, definitely, absolutely?" He questioned the answer as he looked around, Mabel whispering "I rigged it!" "Mabel? I know you're going through your whole boy crazy phase but I think you're overdoing it with the crazy part." Dipper states, cleaning the jar of eyeballs as Mabel lets out a raspberry. "What?! C'mon Dipper, this is our first Summer away from home. It's my big chance to have an epic Summer romance and I can finally set you up with someone!"

 I heard Mabel tell her brother when she started looking around the gift shop, eyes widening as she points her finger at me. "How about (y/n)?" " Yeah, but do you need to flirt with every guy you meet? And besides (y/n) creeps me out, seriously how is that girl completely grey?!" Dipper said reminding Mabel of previous failed attempts at flirting and then eyeing me suspiciously; I couldn't blame him, I indeed was grey literally and figuratively, how I got this way? I can't remember. "Mock all you want brother but I got a good feeling about this Summer, I wouldn't be surprised if the man of my dreams walked through that door right now."

Mabel said crossing her arms and pointing at the museum entrance when Grunkle Stan walked in holding some signs with his arm and a soda in his hand as he let a burp rip as Mabel shirks away in disgust.

"Oh, why?!" She asks as Dipper starts to laugh and I shake my head before looking up at the man as he started to speak. "Alright look, alive people, I need someone to hammer up these signs at the spooky part of the forest," The twins both said, "Not it," And Soos chimed in with "Also not it." "Nobody asked you, Soos." "I know, and I'm comfortable with that." The two conversed before Soos pulled out a chocolate bar and took a bite. "Wendy! I need you to put up these signs!" Our attention turns to Wendy at the cash register as she outstretches her arms saying "I would but I...Can't...Reach it...Ugh." "I'd fire all of you if I could. Alright eeny, meeny, miny, you!" Grunkle Stan says pointing at Dipper.

"Aw, what? Grunkle Stan, whenever I'm in those woods I feel like I'm being watched." Dipper said, bringing out his concern, causing Grunkle Stan to rub his eyes as he muttered "Ugh, this again?" "I'm telling you something weird is going on in this town, just today my mosquito bites spelled out beware," Dipper showed his bites to reveal BEWARB spelled out which Grunkle Stan pointed out. "That says Bewarb. Look kid the whole 'monsters in the forest' thing is just local legend, dumped up by guys like me to sell merch to guys like that." 

He gestured towards a tourist holding a bobblehead, I had to agree with Dipper though this town was weird, both with its legends and people. "So quit being so paranoid! (y/n) go with him so he'll quit whining." Grunkle Stan stated, tossing the boards at Dipper who let out a sigh. We walked into the forest and began to nail in the signs and Dipper starts to mumble.

"Grunkle Stan...Nobody ever believes anything I say." Dipper went to hammer in another nail but when he hit the nail a metallic noise echoed. Dipper and I give each other a confused glance and I walk closer to him as he hammers at the tree again with the same result of a metallic sound. Dipper wipes away some dust and opens up the compartment to reveal a small device covered in cobwebs. "What is this?" Dipper asks, inspecting the device and I mess with the joysticks at the top telling him "I don't know but this strangely looks familiar.," I flip the right switch and apart of the ground a few feet away slides away to reveal a hole.

We walk over to find a book covered in dirt and cobwebs as Dipper asked "What the?" He picks up the book and blows the dust off to reveal a golden six-fingered emblem with the number three in the middle. He sets it on the ground and opens it up to reveal a torn sticker that said Property of... I pick up the spectacle and examine it, why did this book- journal look familiar? I heard Dipper read out loud "It's hard to believe it's been six years since we've begun studying the strange and wonderous secrets of Gravity Falls, Oregon."

 I flip a few of the pages to find depictions with whole pages filled with a description of creatures, but what caught my eye was there were two different writing styles.