girl of steel

"Whenever grief tries to steal the beauty of your memories, just remember: love. never. dies."
- unknown
————————————————————————

The group all ran outside to see the speed force was destroying everything. "The Speed Force is unbalanced. I have to stabilize it," Barry said.

"What?" Kara asked and Barry looked back at her. "How?"

"By running into it," Barry said.

"No, you can't. Barry, you'll be trapped in there forever," Kara said.

"If I don't go, the whole city, maybe even the entire planet, could be destroyed. We just went through a invasion, we don't need something else," Barry said.

"There's gotta be another way. Barry, the world needs The Flash," Kara said.

"And they'll have one," Barry said before he looked at Wally, and they hugged. "They'll have one. Right?" Kara shook her head in denial, not wanting to believe this was happening.

Barry walked up to Julian and held out his hand. "Mate," Julian said before he took his hand. Barry then walked up to Harry.

"Do you mind sticking around?" He asked.

"Anything for you," Harry said.

"Barry," Kara said and Barry looked back at her. "Wally and Jay said they were in hell."

Suddenly, a blue breach opened, and a figure of Nora walked out from it. "Barry, it's your mother," Kara said.

"That's the Speed Force," Barry said.

"Barry isn't going to hell. But like all runners must eventually, he's reached his finish line. His race is over," Nora said.

"You can't take him with you," Kara sternly said and Barry walked up to her.

"She's not taking me anywhere. I have to go," he said.

"Why? Why are you being punished?" Kara asked as Barry cupped her face.

"This, all of this, it started with my mistake, with Flashpoint. This is this is my penance. This is my redemption," Barry said.

"My beautiful boy," Nora said and Barry looked back at her. "It's time to rest."

Barry then looked back at a now crying Kara. "They're all gonna look to you now," Barry said but Kara shook her head.

"No. No. I'm not the same hero without you," Kara said.

"You've always been my hero," Barry said but Kara choked on sobs.

"All this time we were trying to save Iris, you're telling me that we should've been trying to save you too?" Kara asked.

"You did save me, Kara," Barry said and Kara looked into his eyes. "You met a man on the street with a broken heart, and you gave him a home, and so much love. I've never loved anyone like I've loved you."

"I couldn't love anyone else even if I tried," Kara muttered.

"Barry," Nora said and they looked back at her again. "It's time."

"Barry," Kara said and Barry looked at her. "This isn't fair."

"I know," Barry said.

"We were supposed to have our happy ending. I'm ready to be Kara Danvers-Allen," Kara said.

"And you always will be. But you need to keep living your life. Keep growing. Keep loving. Keep running. For me. Promise me you'll run, Kara," Barry said as he wiped her tears away.