i saw a shooting star and thought of you

National City Waterfront

On a high building above where the unveiling was, was Supergirl looking down sternly, when J'onn landed next to her, transforming back into his human form. "No sign of Bloodsport," Supergirl said and J'onn looked up at the sky.

"It's quiet up here. You know, I rarely flew on Mars. It was for battle, not pleasure. When I first came to Earth, I spent hours up in the sky. It's the only place I could feel empty," J'onn said.

"Well, that's not what I'm doing up here," Supergirl said and J'onn looked at her.

"Forgive me for saying, but you seem to be courting emptiness of late. And that's not you," J'onn said.

"I tried to be Kara Danvers for sixteen years. But I'm not supposed to be her. I'm not supposed to be human," Supergirl said.

"But you have a human heart now. It aches. It scars. But keeps on beating. If you try and cut it out, you will lose something essential," J'onn said.

"I can't help people if I'm broken," Supergirl said but J'onn shook his head before he hugged her.

"You are not broken. You're the strongest person I know. You saved me, remember?" J'onn said and Supergirl looked at him. "You taught me that my loss made me stronger. That was Kara Danvers, not Supergirl."

"Do you still dream about them? Your family?" Supergirl asked.

"Sometimes," J'onn said.

"Past couple of months, when I dream, I see...I see Barry with my mom," Supergirl said and J'onn stared at her concerned, but she shook it off. "Uh...We should keep our eyes on the sky right now."

———

Down below on the ground, Alex was walking around the crowds, checking every inch, just like everyone else was, when suddenly Maggie talked on the comms. "Danvers, you on comms? Got something that needs your attention."

"I'm here. East side. You?" Alex asked.

"West. All clear. About last night..."

Alex looked in Maggie's direction and sighed. "Uh...This is neither the time nor the place to talk about what I think you wanna talk about," Alex said.

"Do you not wanna marry me?"

Alex's expression dropped and stared at Maggie taken back. "Of course, I do. Look, I...I wanna be your wife. I wanna have a dog. I wanna have the house. All of it. I just...I just don't want a big wedding," Alex said.

"Why?" But Alex wouldn't answer. "Talk to me, please. You have to tell me what's going on."

"Because my dad won't be there," Alex suddenly said and Maggie gave her a look. "He can't come. He can't walk me down the aisle."

"You could've told me that."

"I didn't wanna make a big deal out of it. You're already dealing with family issues that I can't imagine. So, I just...I hoped that I would just let it go," Alex said before she frowned.

"Look, I've had more practice at choosing my family because I've had to. And I think, if you take a deep breath, you're gonna find your way out of this...There's so many people who love you. Just think about how they're gonna make our day good, and tell me how I can help."

"Okay. I can do that," Alex said and she saw Maggie smile at her from across the way.

"Okay, I love you."