therefore i am

"You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself."
- Marilyn Monroe
————————————————————————

43 Hibbard Lane

After parking the car in front of the house, Barry, Mon-El and Joe got out of the car and stood in the driveway of the house hesitantly. "Is this the place?" Mon asked. "This is the one," Barry said before they continued to walk up to the house. "Is everyone set?"

"Girl of Steel is ready when you are."

"Eye in the Sky is a go."

"I have eyes on the front door."

"Snow and Frost standing by."

"Just give us the word and we'll breach in."

Barry, Mon and Joe stepped on the front porch, to be met with a welcome mat, and Joe looked confused. "What kind of criminal mastermind has a welcome mat?" Joe asked.

Barry sighed before he rung the doorbell, and just a few seconds later, a woman answered the door. She had dark curly hair, a long blue wavy dress, and had an accent — like she was from a different country. "Hi, can I help you?"

"Uh, yes, ma'am," Joe said as Barry and Mon stared at the woman oddly. "I'm Detective Joe West, CCPD. This is Barry Allen and Mike Matthews, my associates."

"Is everything okay?" The woman asked.

"Uh, yes. Uh, we were just hoping to talk with Clifford DeVoe. Is he here?" Barry asked.

"Yes, he is. May I ask what this is about, officers?" The woman asked.

"We just need to ask him some questions, that's all," Mon assured.

"Is something wrong? Is my husband in trouble?" She asked.

"Your husband?" Barry questioned.

"No, ma'am," Joe cut in.

"Clifford," the woman called out, though she stared at the three men skeptical. "The police are here. They'd like a word."

Then the man they were looking for, came along to the door, curly hair, creepy face — in a wheelchair. "Thank you, dear," he told his wife as the three on the doorstep looked subtly confused. "Good afternoon, gentlemen. I'm Clifford DeVoe. How may I be of help?"

———

Sitting in their living room, the woman poured Barry, Mon-El and Joe glasses of lemonade as she and Clifford sat across from them. "I hope it's not too sweet," she said, taking her seat back next to Clifford.

As the three took sips of their drinks, they were in utter shock at how tasty it was. "Mm!" Joe hummed.

"Whoa," Mon muttered as Barry looked at the two in front of him.

"This is amazing," he said.

"Just like my wife," Clifford said and his wife smiled. "Somehow she find time to take care of me and still keep an immaculate household. And her three-cheese macaroni? Second to none! Sometimes I think I'm the luckiest man alive." The three smiled kinda awkwardly and Clifford caught on. "Gentlemen, how can I help?"

"The name DeVoe came up in an investigation of ours. We would just like to ask you some questions, if that's okay," Joe said.

"Why him? DeVoe's a common name," the woman said.