far from the tree

"They say that abandonment is a wound that never heals. I say only that an abandoned child never forgets."
- Mario Balotelli
————————————————————————

Alex looked around Iris's apartment one night, to see what Iris and Kara had done for the shower. "Well, the loft looks great," Alex said and Iris smiled, but Alex looked down at a board full of pictures of her. "Now if we could just burn this, then it would be perfect."

"No, come on, it's adorable," Kara said as Alex walked away a little.

"I don't know why I thought throwing a lesbian wedding shower would curb Mom's cheesy antics," Alex said.

"Nope, gay, straight, whatever, Eliza will not be stopped, until she digs up every bridal shower game since the beginning of time," Kara said as she and Iris walked up to Alex. "You know what? You're gonna love bridal bingo."

"Kill me now, please," Alex said and Kara giggled, but her sister could see the sadness in her eyes. "How are you doing?"

"Fine — Great," Kara said, as she looked up to see Alex giving her a look. "Alex. What's going on with me has nothing to do with your and Maggie. I could not be happier for you."

"I know. It means a lot. I just know how hard this could bring up for you," Alex said, knowing Kara couldn't even throw a bridal shower for her and Barry. But then someone knocked at the door and Kara looked towards it.

"Oh! Eliza's early," Kara said before she walked up to the door and opened it. "Hi!" But Eliza was not on the other side, it was J'onn. "Oh, J'onn. Come on in."

J'onn walked in as the girls eyed her carefully. "Is everything okay?" Iris asked.

"Yeah, yeah. Everything's great. I just...I just needed to talk to you three," J'onn said as he walked towards the middle of the loft. "I have to go away for a few days. I'm gonna need you guys to manage the DEO until I get back."

"Where are you going?" Iris asked.

"Mars," J'onn said and they all looked shocked.

"Mars?" Alex asked.

"M'gann sent me a message. She needs my help," J'onn said.

"Help with what?" Kara asked.

"Message was short, urgent. I tried to make contact, but I couldn't reach her. But I can sense that she's in danger," J'onn told them.

"No, J'onn, you're the last Green Martian. The Whites have been trying to kill your kind for centuries. Going back would be a suicide mission," Kara sternly stated.

"Look, M'gann came to our aid when we were in need. I must go for M'gann," J'onn said.

"If you are going to Mars, then Kara is going with you," Alex said.

"Yeah," Kara said.

"I won't have you endanger your life just to fight my battles," J'onn said.

"Your battles are my battles, J'onn," Kara said.

"I can't take you away from Alex's shower," J'onn said.

"Are you kidding?" Alex asked and J'onn looked at him. "If I thought that I could survive Mars, then I'd be right there fighting by your side."

"Plus, I think Kara really wants to go than be at a bridal shower," Iris cut in, and Alex knew she was right.

"J'onn," Kara started and he looked at her. "If Krypton still existed and I had to go back to where my parents were buried, under rubble, I know you wouldn't let me do it alone." J'onn sighed before he nodded.