schott through the heart

"Anyone can have a child and call themselves 'a parent'. A real parent is someone who puts that child above their own selfish needs and wants."
————————————————————————

"I know you are scared," Kara said, pacing back and forth in front of a line of her friends, "I know some of you have never done this before," she walked past James, then Alex, then J'onn, then Myr'nn, Winn, Iris, and finally — Barry, "I know some of you are ready to get out there and prove yourselves. But just remember why we do this," she and Barry stared right at each other, "We do this for the people," and then Barry held out a karaoke microphone for her, and she took it with a smile.

———

In National City, at the Alien Dive Bar — it was Karaoke Night. Kara was up on the stage, completely in her zone, jamming out while everyone in the bar cheered for her, while her friends and family sat front row.

"♪ Well, now, don't you tell me to smile. Maybe stick around. Maybe it worth your while. Got numbers beyond what you can dial. Maybe it's because we're so versatile! ♪" — she crossed her arms while leaning to the side, smiling — "♪ Style profile, I said. It always brings me back, when I heard 'Ooh, child.' From the Hudson River to the Nile. I run the marathon, to the very last mile ♪" — she then began to horribly dance while Barry cheered and hollered for her.

At that moment, Mon-El walked into the bar looking for Iris when he found out she was there — but when he did. Wow. She was up front, cheering on her best friend/sister-in-law, but she looked so free. So...happy. Her smile gleamed and completely brightened the room.

He had to pull his eyes from her, remembering why he came to find her in the first place.

Kara walked up to Barry, handing him the Karaoke microphone, and he took it, walking up onto the stage. And when the song started playing, Kara internally rolled her eyes while everyone began hollering for Barry.

He dramatically turned towards everyone once the verse started, looking right at Kara with a mischievous look in his Kryptonite eyes — "♪ So we back in the club. With our bodies rocking from side to side, side-side to side. Thank God the week is done. I feel like a zombie gone back to life, back-back to life. Hands up, and suddenly, we all got our hands up, no control of my body ♪" — and everyone waved their hands up while Kara suck down in her seat, smiling embarrassingly — "♪ Ain't I seen you before? I think I remember those eyes, eyes, eyes. Eyes, eye-eyes. Cause baby tonight ♪" — Barry then froze, pointing at Kara — "♪ The DJ got us falling in love again. Yeah, baby tonight. The DJ got us falling in love again ♪" — he then began to crack out dancing like a manic — "♪ So dance, dance, like it's the last, last night of year life, life. Gon' get you right, cause baby tonight, the DJ got us falling in love again ♪"

Once he was done, he handed the microphone to James, who took and got up on stage while Barry took a seat back next to Kara.

"♪ What went wrong! ♪" — everyone stared at him surprised at his singing voice they did not know he had — "♪ Baby, seemed like we were going to take this further. Same old song, and the juice we got from the squeeze wasn't worth it—

"Take your shirt off!" Winn yelled out into the crowd, causing all their friends to bust out laughing.

Next was Alex, but she sat on a stool as she sang, a glass of beer in her hand, and while she sang — everyone wasn't sure if she was on the verge of tears...or her voice was cracking.

"♪ No one can move me the way that you do. Nothing erases the feeling between me and you—

"Oh, who let her pick this song?" Kara asked as Iris tried to not cringe to herself.