the way our horizons meet

"It's open..."

Joe opened the door of the DeVoe home, to find that Clifford DeVoe was already nearby, sitting in his wheelchair. Joe stared at him with a numb death look, the both of them knowing, but DeVoe still pretended to be innocent. "Good evening, detective West. Something tells me you're not here for more of my wife's world famous lemonade."

"Where's my son?" Joe asked.

"Mr. Allen, has he gone missing?" Clifford asked.

"He's not missing. He was taken. By someone I am eager to meet," Joe sternly said.

"Thinly veiled threats aside, Mr. West, I'm afraid I have not a clue as to Barry Allen's location. I do know, however, that your colleague is located behind my front porch carrying an ionic sub-repeating pulse firearm." Harry suddenly walked up to the door, holding his large blaster, a same look on him as Joe's. They stared at him unamused while he chuckled. "The bird bath has a much better vantage point. A smart man would have taken up position there."

"A smarter man would understand that this gun has no safety, and my finger is still on the trigger," Harry said but Clifford began laughing.

"Is there something you find funny?" Joe asked in a stern tone.

"Well, it has occurred to me that there is an amusing irony at play. You being a detective and all, yet you fail to acknowledge the most basic result in missing children cases," Clifford explained.

"And what would that be?" Joe asked.

"Well, perhaps your son just ran away," Clifford said and immediately, Joe walked towards him threatening, but Harry held him back. "Now, I do have a restraining order against your son. Shall I add you to the list?"

"If something happened to Barry, there ain't a restraining order on Earth that would keep me from getting you," Joe threatened. "I'm coming back with a search warrant."

"Completely unnecessary, Detective," Clifford said before he wheeled back some, gesturing to inside his home. "If you desire to search my abode, by all means."

Without a second thought, Joe began to search around the home while Harry glared at Clifford. "You're not as smart as you think-"

"Yes, I am," Clifford sternly said but Harry smiled a bit.

"No...you're not," he said.

———  ~ ❉᯽❉ ~  ———

Down in DeVoe's sanctuary, Barry was trying to vibrate the the barrier, despite it hurting him in the long run. But he wouldn't give up. "Come on!"

"You're only hurting yourself," Barry snapped around to find Marlize DeVoe behind him, wearing a white lab coat, and her black hair slicked back. She began to walk past him, heading towards a futuristic computer. "Running faster than sound, vibrating through walls, even throwing lightning. None of that can destroy this barrier."

"You know a lot about my abilities. Is that why I'm here?" Barry asked but Marlize simply let out a small hysterical chuckle. "DeVoe wants my power?" But she ignored him. "You don't have to do this. Whatever he has planned, you don't have to help him."

"A helper?" She questioned, looking back at him. "Is that what you think I am? A mindless minion carrying out her master's bidding? Some sort of evil secretary?"

"You tell me," Barry said.

"No, Mr. Allen. I am now and forever will be my husband's partner," Marlize said before she looked back at the computer.

"I understand that. You're not the only one who promised to stand by your loved one for better or for worse. In sickness and in health," Barry said and she looked back at him. "If you go down this path with DeVoe, can't you see that you risk sacrificing everything that you have together? Your entire marriage?"