you're on the other side

TW: Ethnic hatred and homophobia
————————————————————————

At the Pacific Central bus station, Maggie slowly walked up to a bus with citizens getting off. One of them was her father, Mr. Rodas. When he saw her, he smiled and walked up to her. "Margarita," he said.

"Dad," Maggie before the two awkwardly hugged. "I wish you would have called and told me you were coming. I would have picked you up at the airport."

"The bus was fine," Mr. Rodas said, but then Maggie looked to the bus.

"Is Mom...?" She asked.

"No, your mother isn't coming," Mr. Rodas said and Maggie looked at him. "She doesn't like to fly-"

"Oh, you don't have to explain — Are you hungry? We could grab a bite," Maggie said.

"The party of yours is soon, no?" Mr. Rodas asked.

"In a couple of hours, but we have time," Maggie said.

"I can wait. I should probably check in at the hotel," Mr. Rodas said.

"Okay," Maggie said.

"I think it's this way," Mr. Rodas said, as he started to walk through a park, and Maggie followed. "So...you're a homicide detective?"

"Yeah. Among other things," Maggie said.

"That cold case you cracked sounded very interesting," Mr. Rodas said and Maggie looked at him. "The Martial murder."

"You know about that?" She asked.

"Well, I'm on old man, but I know how to Google. I follow all your cases," Mr. Rodas said before they both suddenly stopped. "Tell me something. For eighteen years, they didn't have a single lead. How did you solve that?"

"I went back to the scene of the crime, studied the ordinary details everyone dismissed. Like you taught me. You used to say, 'they key to most mysteries is in the mundane.'," Maggie said.

"You remember that," he said, in an almost questionable tone.

"I remember everything you taught me," Maggie said before they both continued to walk towards the hotel.

Mars

J'onn, in his human form, walked back into his father's chambers, where he was still praying. "One thing I'll give you Whites, you don't take no for an answer," Myr'nn said and J'onn sighed annoyed.

"As I told you before, Father, I am not a White Martian," J'onn said and Myr'nn looked back at him, to see his human form.

"Or even a Green Martian, it seems," Myr'nn said before he got up. "It is the custom of my people to take the shape of our guests...for your comfort if not for my own."

He then transformed himself in a human form, and J'onn stared at him cautiously. "I am well aware of our Martian customs, and lore," J'onn said.

"Mars was once a paradise. But H'ronmeer wanted to test his children, Phobos and Deimos. To be sure they were worthy of it. So he offered them two gifts," Myr'nn began to explain.