maybe we found love

Sitting behind his desk at the DEO, Winn was fiddling with a fidget spinner when-

"So, you work with Supergirl," Winn slowly turned around to find his mother approaching him, "You should sit up straight, be proud."

"You cannot be down here," he muttered to her.

"Oh, please. If anyone asks, I'm just looking for the bathroom," Mary said.

"It's around the corner to the left. Okay, bye now," Winn said.

"Yeah, I tried that one, but it was closed for enhanced interrogation," Mary said, catching the attention of some nearby agents, "Kidding. Jeez. Just kidding," she then turned back to Winn to find an annoyed look.

"You think this is funny?" He asked.

"Oh, a little gallows humor never killed anybody. Well, except for the fellas hanging from the gallows," Mary said and Winn stood up, leaning over towards her irritated.

"What do you want?" He asked, and she sighed.

———

The two stepped into a private room, and once the door closed behind them, that was when Mary felt most comfortable to tell Winn the truth. "I just wanted to see your face, Winn. I wanted to hear your voice, I wanted my son back," she said but he stood before her, with nothing to say, the same irritated expression on his face, "I have spent twenty years imagining this moment and now I...leaving you, it gutted me. And I've carried that with me every day of my life, but I had to, Winn, because your father-"

"Oh, no, I'm sorry, let me guess. He threatened your life," Winn said.

"No, Winn. He threatened yours," Mary said which Winn stared at her taken back, "He told me that if I went near you, ever, that he would kill you. And when he died, I thought it was safe. But I was wrong. You're still in danger."

"I don't believe you," Winn told her.

"You saw what your father did at his own funeral," Mary said.

"I saw the last grasping prank of a lunatic. And now, what I'm hearing is an excuse. Twenty years in the making," Winn said before he softly scoffed, "Hey, I had twenty years to think, too. You want to know what I think about the most? Let me set the scene for you. It's the night Dad finally snapped. And I'm sitting in the police station, freezing cold, because I'm in my pajamas. When the police came and picked me up from home, I was asleep. Remember? In bed. Alone. And the nice officer, he drapes the coat over my shoulders. I feel a little better. So I'm sitting there, and my cold little feet are dangling in the air, and I'm waiting. I'm waiting for my mom to pick me up. Cause they said that they called you. Yeah. Yeah, they said it was just gonna be like an hour, and then they'd explain everything. And then it was two hours. And then it was the next morning. When I lie in bed at night, staring up at the ceiling, unable to sleep, I'm not wondering why Dad finally, suddenly snapped. No, that doesn't haunt me. What haunts me is you. You, who left me, when I needed you the most. With no explanation, no goodbye. Nothing."

"I'm so sorry," Mary muttered.

"I don't care anymore," Winn said, walking away from her and towards the door.

"Winn-"

"I don't need your excuses. You wanna keep me safe? Great. You know what you should do?" Winn asked, opening the door and looking past her, "Leave again!" But suddenly, running past the room they were in, was a bunch of agents, "Something's happening," he then ran out to find out what was going on as Mary followed him.