midvale

"Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it."
- J. K. Rowling
————————————————————————

♪ I say goodbye to love again ♪

♪ In loneliness ♪

♪ My only friend ♪

♪ In loneliness my only fear ♪

♪ The night's here ♪

♪ And I say goodbye ♪

♪ To love once more ♪

♪ No shadow darkening my door ♪

In J'onn blue car, Kara and Alex pulled up into their old home in Midvale where Eliza was waiting for them on the porch. She walked up to them as Alex got out of the car. "Hey, honey," Eliza said when she hugged the depressed girl. She then broke the hug and walked into her once home as Kara got their things out from the car. She also walked up to Eliza and gave her a hug.

♪ Until your memory is gone ♪

♪ The night so long ♪

———

That night, Eliza walked out onto the back porch, holding cups of fresh coffee, to find Kara sitting on the sofa, staring out at the stars. "You still out here?" Eliza asked.

"Yeah," Kara said.

"I made coffee in case this turns into a teary all-nighter," Eliza said as she sat down next to her daughter, and handing her a cup of coffee.

"You don't have to stay up," Kara said.

"Well, this is the mom fine print. When your child's in agony, you show up regardless the hour," Eliza said.

"I figured it would be nice to get her away from everything for a couple of days," Kara said.

"This is going to be hard no matter what. But at least here she can lean into it. Better than letting her pretend she's fine," Eliza said and Kara slowly looked at her to find her adoptive mother already looking at her.

"You're worried about me?" She asked.

"I think I worry about you more than Alex. Losing Maggie is going to be excruciating, but at least Alex doesn't close herself off," Eliza said.

"I'm not doing that," Kara said.

"You have the most wide open heart in the world for other people. But when you feel weak, you punish yourself for it. You've had an awful year," Eliza started.

"And I'm feeling a lot better. I promise," Kara said.

"You don't have to be better. You're allowed to be a mess," Eliza said.

"Too many people depend on me," Kara said.

"That is a great excuse," Eliza said.

"I'm just accepting the fact that I'm not human. And if I'm going to do the things I have to do, I have to walk away from certain vulnerabilities," Kara said.

"You've thought a lot about this," Eliza said.

"Yeah, it's been a long time coming. I'm happy about it," Kara said.