the fanatical

"The minute you choose to do what you really want to do, it's a different kind of life."
- Buckminster Fuller
————————————————————————

trigger warning: racism

The next week, it was back to work. Supergirl was back in Lena's lab, her, The Flash, Mon-El, and Winn watching Lena stand behind a microscope, a screen nearby showing what she was doing, "It's a biolistic delivery system. It's usually used for overwriting genes in crops, but..." Lena looked over at Supergirl, "Reign's cells were closer to plant cells than you'd think."

"Part of how Kryptonians process sunlight. How does it work?" Supergirl asked, looking at the screen.

"You take particles of heavy metal, coat them in DNA, deliver the payload, and then overwrite Reign's DNA with Sam's," Lena explained before she pressed a button.

The group looked over to find a small machine whirring out in Reign's containment, holding a light green substance. It inserted itself into Reign's arm as they all watched intently.

"Plasmid inserted."

But right then, Reign's eyes shot open as an automated voice boomed out, "Payload rejected."

And everyone dropped their hopeful looks, "I thought this would work," Lena said, "I just need the right vectors with the right metal. I just need more time."

"Yes," the group looked over to find Reign had lifted her head up from the bed she was on, looking right at Lena creepily, "Give Lena more time. She doesn't have much left. Because when I'm free, I'm gonna rip out her spine. And when that's done, I'm gonna crack this planet in half, and you'll hear every scream—"

Lena cut her off but pressing another button, causing the compartment's force field to darken, "Okay, we don't need to hear that," she said.

But they all stared at the compartment oddly when they heard Reign's screaming echo inside it, "What was that?" Flash asked.

"It's a refractive scatter-field. She can't see us now," Lena explained.

"What, even with the X-Ray vision?" Winn stammered.

Supergirl squinted her eyes, using her x-ray vision on the field, just for a blinding light to hit her eyes, causing her to tense in pain.

"Yeah," Supergirl groaned, looking back at Lena, "Even with X-Ray vision."

"The wavelength interference of the force field hurts any Kryptonian that looks at it, and the shock seems to keep her in check," Lena explained.

"Lena, I thought we talked about this. You said if you developed any weapons that could hurt Kryptonians, you would put them on my radar," Supergirl sternly said.

"This isn't a weapon," Lena said.

"It might as well be," Supergirl said.

"I told you about Kryptonite. And I will tell you if I make it again, cause I agreed to that. But with regards to other things I work on, this may come as a shock to you, but I don't think about you while I'm doing it," Lena told her, causing the heroine to stare at her sternly.

CatCo Worldwide Media

Later that day, Kara Danvers was standing in James's office when he and Iris walked in together, conflicted expressions on them, "Kara?" Iris asked and Kara turned around to face them.