Protective

TW: homophobic slurs, physical fighting, high school bullying/violence

Summer is officially over and school just started, back to East High everyone goes. They all had the best summer ever and were hoping the school year would be the same... or so they thought.

"C'mon Ricky, you have to talk to EJ. You can't just leave things like this."

"No, Nini. I can't. Not after what he said to me or how he just left me there."

Ricky and EJ developed a summer romance with each other. After the school year ended in June, the two boys got super close as the rest of their friends had summer plans leaving Ricky and EJ alone with each other.

The week before school started, though, Ricky and EJ talked about making their relationship public.

~Flashback~

"EJ?...."

"Yeah, what is it baby?"

Ricky always loved the cute little nicknames EJ gave him, it was like their only little thing.

"Well.. Summer is ending and I don't want this to end, between us. How would you feel about making this official and going public with our relationship?" Ricky asked EJ as the two were sitting down on a blanket at the beach watching the sunset.

After those words came out of RIcky's mouth, EJ just sat there... frozen.

"EJ? You there?"

"Yeah, sorry. Listen Ricky... I don't think we should make this public. I haven't come out to anyone yet, only you and Ash know, and I don't want things to ruin my senior year. My parents are already hard on me with getting a water polo scholarship, adding a relationship, let alone a boyfriend, to all of this could make it worse. I'm sorry Ricky."

Ricky's heart shattered. He wanted to throw up, run away, and punch EJ in the face all out once.

"I'm sorry Ricky. But I think we should end this now before school starts. I gotta go. Goodbye Ricky." EJ said standing up from the beach, walking back to this car.

Ricky didn't know what to do. The one happy thing in his life, just left him all alone on the beach because he was afraid of what everyone would say. Ricky started to instantly cry and just laid there at the beach for hours. It wasn't until Nini found him hours later, that the skater boy stopped crying. She only found him because Ricky's dad hadn't heard from him all day.

How would the school year and theater be, now that Ricky would have to see EJ every day...

~End of Flashback~

Back at the first day of school, classes went by slower than ever and Ricky just wanted to get home. However, it was lunch time now and he would have to deal with all of his friends asking how he was and possibly run into HIM.

"Hey Ricky, how are you doing?" Big Red asked, sitting down next to his best friend at the theater lunch table.

"Been better" Ricky said, playing with his lunch.

"I'm sorry Ricky. Don't listen to EJ, he's an ass anyways." Ashlyn said, sitting down next to her boyfriend.

"Thanks Ash." Ricky said as Ashlyn hugged him.

"Yeah! EJ is an ass and a douche!"

"Hey, watch it Biggie. Only I can call him that, since he's my cousin."

"Sorry sweetie."

"It's okay Biggie, I still love you."

Ricky was happy that his friends were together, but he was still sad, wishing that, that could be him and E-