Out Of A Movie

"EJ, look alive. The camera is on you!" Ashlynn says to me as I see the cameraman run right in front of me.

I look to my right, I see my mom and dad smiling down on me as they are so happy I am in this position. I look to my left and I see Ashlyn right next to me. Next to her as my best friends: Big Red, Seb, Carlos, Kourtney, Nini, and Gina. Next to Gina was an empty seat... The empty seat was right next to me, but after someone didn't show up I asked Ash to sit next to me and had everyone shift over. I put my head down as I could feel sadness creep upon me, but then I remembered the camera was on me, so I put on a fake smile and listened to the presenter as he read the winner.

"And the Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role goes too..."

"EJ CASWELL for A Closeted Man"

"EJ! YOU WON! YOU WON!"Ash says, shaking my arm.

Go figure, I won an award for a movie I starred in where I portrayed a closested gay man. Sound familiar? Yes, cause it was my life all throughout highschool, until senior year. When I met him..

"Oh EJ, I am so happy for you." "Congratulations son!" My parents said to me as I got up out of my seat to hug them both.

I hugged Ash next, then hugged each of my friends individually as I made my way through the aisle to get to the stage. I stop at the last, empty seat staring at it for a second then I head up the stage stairs to accept my Oscar.

I thank the presenter for giving me the award and then I pull out a notecard where I had written my speech down months ago when I first got nominated, so that I didn't just wing it. I finally start my speech:

"Wow, uh, I never thought this would happen to me. Being barely 24, I didn't think I could win such a prestigious award at my age. First of all, I want to thank my parents, mom, dad, I love you both. My cousin, Ash, thank you for being my rock throughout my entire life, you are the best. To my best friends: Red, Seb, Carlos, Kourt, Nini, Gina, thank you for being there for everything, love y'all. And to the person that inspires my heart, my boy -"

I stopped my speech at that very moment. I forgot I wrote this speech a few months ago, when I was with him and he was my everything. Before we broke up...

~ Flashback (4 months ago) ~

"Babe C'mon! You are going to miss your nomination!"

"I'm not going to get nominated, calm down. I'm too young."

"Shut up! You are going to get nominated! Cause you are an amazing actor and gave one of the best performances I have ever seen."

"You have to say that, you are dating me." I smiled, kissing my boyfriend's cheek. He blushes and turns up the volume on the tv.

"And the Oscar nominations for Best Actor in a Leading Role are:

Tom Holland in 30, A James Bond Film

Timothee Chalamet in Dune 11

Anthony Ramos in Hamilton: The Movie

Michael B. Jordan in Smith: The Biopic

And

EJ Caswell in A Closested Man"

"AHHHHH YES!! YOU DID IT EJ! YOU GOT NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR! I am so happy for you!"

"I- I don't know what to say.. I DID IT! I DID IT!"

"YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!"

"Thank you baby! I love you!" I said, picking my boyfriend up and kissing him right on the lips.