The Skater and the Jock

"Ugh, I just don't get it Big Red"

"Don't get what?"

"That" Ricky said, pointing to the jock table. "I don't get why everyone is always obsessed with jocks."

It was lunch time at East High and Ricky Bowen was sitting with his best friend, Big Red, at their table in the corner of the cafeteria. They were sitting with the skater crew at lunch, but were not really sitting with them, more like the skaters were sitting with Ricky and Big Red.

Ricky was staring at the popular jock table in the middle of the cafeteria. The table was always loud, had a ton of people around it, and everyone was always happy and smiling, he never understood why. Why were they on top of the "food chain"? What was so good about them? Why did everyone want to be them or be with them?

Ricky scoffed turning to Big Red, "I honestly don't get it."

"Dude, their jocks! They're hot, popular, and rich, there's nothing to get." Big Red said to his best friend.

"But why? Like who made them the best.They all just seem like jerks and airheads."

"Have you actually ever talked to a jock?"

"No.... have you?"

"Yeah!"

"Really?! WHO?" Ricky was actually shocked. He never knew his best friend had talked to the "popular" people.

"Hello, I'm dating a jock!"

"Uh- I-, Red I don't think Ashlyn is considered a''jock"...

"SHUT UP! She's in band and has a varsity jacket, so that makes her a jock."

"I- whatever, I guess you're right."

"Of course, I'm right. But maybe you should actually get to know a jock before you jump to conclusions."

Ricky turns to look at the jock table, he was trying to understand what his best friend was saying.

"Talk to a jock? Get to know one?.. Never" Ricky thought to himself.

Back at the jock table, EJ Caswell was having the time of his life. He was talking to cheerleaders, his water polo teammates, even going over to the theater table to talk with his cousin and friends. His life was perfect, but he felt like something was off. He felt like someone was eyeing him throughout the entire lunch period, he looked around the cafeteria and saw some skater kid staring right at him.

"Everything okay Eej?" His cousin Ashlyn asked him.

"Yeah, yeah, well sort of. Do you know what that dude's probably is? He keeps on staring at me, he looks mad." EJ said, pointing over his shoulder to where Ricky and Big Red were sitting.

"Oh them? Nah, they're harmless. You should go talk to them."

"Me, talk to THEM, never. I'm too good for that."

Ashlyn just rolled her eyes, before standing up to talk to EJ.

"Look, you should get to know them or at least talk to them. They are really nice."

"And how would you know that?"

"You do know, I am dating one of them right?"

"You're what?!"

EJ turns around to see that Big Red is waiving over at Ashlyn causing his cousin to blush.

"Ohhh, that's how you know so much about them."

"Yeah, he's my Biggie." Ashlyn said, before slapping EJ in the arm. "And stop calling them, THEM, they have actual names. Ricky Bowen and Big Red."