Single Dads

"Nini, please I don't want to go!" Ricky shouts as Nini is getting his little 4 year old son ready to babysit.

"Ricky, please. It is just one meeting. If you don't like it you don't have to go anymore, but please try it out for me." Nini said, while putting little Mikey's toys in his bag.

"A meeting for single dad's though really? It sounds sad and a little sexual."

"Oh Ricky." Nini said, slapping his arm.

"Ow. But seriously, thank you for watching little Mikey."

"No problem, anytime! Gina and I love babysitting my favorite godson."

"He is your only godson, but thanks." Ricky said, hugging his best friend.

"No problem, time to go Mikey." Nini said, grabbing the 4 year old to leave Ricky's house.

"Bye son! Be good for Auntie Nini and Auntie Gina." Ricky said, hugging his son.

"Oh and Ricky. Take it seriously, you never know who you might meet there." Nini said, winking as she left his house.

Ricky drove to the local community center that was having it's weekly meeting for single dads. He walked in with a beanie on, hoping he didn't see anyone he knew or that anyone would try to make small talk with him. The greeter welcomed him and gave him a flyer for the next meeting and pointed him in the direction of the coffee and donuts.

Ricky walked over to the snack table and poured himself a cup of black coffee. Just the way he liked it hot and dry. He then reached for a white sprinkled donut, when another man reached for the same one as him. Their hands grazed each other and both immediately felt a spark between them.

"Oh sorry. Go ahead." Ricky said to the strange man.

"No sorry, you saw it first." The strange man said, causing Ricky to be immediately intrigued by his deep voice.

"No go ahead, I insist."

"How about we split it?" The man said, causing Ricky to smile.

"Sure."

The strange man cut the donut in half with a knife and gave a half to Ricky.

"Thanks." Ricky said.

"No problem. I'm EJ by the way."

"Ricky. Nice to meet you."

"You as well." EJ said, taking a seat in the circle of chairs that was laid out. Ricky took a seat a few chairs over from EJ, so he didn't seem desperate.

The meeting started and each person went around in the circle telling their story and what brought them here tonight. There were a few normal dads there like office workers, construction workers, police officers, and then there was EJ and Ricky, two out of the ordinary type of dads.

"Next."

"Hi Everyone, I'm EJ."

"Hi EJ." The group said at once.

"I'm 35, I have a 5 year old daughter whose name is Ellie who is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am a doctor." A few people looked shocked and started whispering to each other.

"I know, I know what you are all thinking. How could a doctor live in a town like this? Shouldn't he be rich and successful and be married with a wife and all of that. But there is more to me, which is why I am here. I wanted to meet people like me, single dads who are not having the best of life right now." EJ's smile faded into a blank stare as a few people were still whispering about him.