A Hoodie That Started It All

"Alright Wildcats! That's enough practice for today. Have a good weekend everyone." Miss Jenn said, as she was finishing up rehearsals for the day.

The Wildcats gathered their things up and started to head out the doors. When a certain waterpolo player forgot something of his.

"Hey, EJ. You forgot your-" Ricky said, picking up the "East High Waterpolo" red hoodie. But it was too late. The senior was already out of the bomb shelter and headed to his car.

"Oh well, I'll just give it to him on Monday." Ricky put the hoodie into his backpack and skated back to his house.

When Ricky got home, he threw his backpack on the floor and decided to take a nap. Well, his nap turned into a sleep and the skater slept all the way until the next morning, over 14 hours to be exact. He woke up to his phone ringing from Big Red.

"Hello?" Ricky said, in a deep groggy voice with some slight drool coming out of his mouth.

"Dude, where are you? You said you would meet me at the skatepark like 20 minutes ago." Big Red said, on the other end.

Ricky opened his eyes and saw the time on his phone was 10:30am. He was supposed to meet Red there at 10 to go skating before Red started his shift at noon at Slices.

"Oh shit. Sorry Red. I'll be there in 15." Ricky hung up his phone and got ready.

He brushed his teeth, grabbed a shirt from his hamper, "Eh, clean enough." he said before changing. Grabbed his backpack, ran downstairs, grabbed water and his skateboard and was off to the skate park.

He and Big Red skated until the very last minute before Red had to leave for his shift. The two best friends parted ways as Ricky went back home to properly shower and change. On his skate home, the windy fall weather of Southern Utah started to pick up and the curly-haired boy started to get cold. He started to shiver and shake, hoping he had packed a hoodie.

He opened his backpack to see that he still had EJ's hoodie in it. "He won't mind, right?" Ricky said, putting the hoodie over himself. The heat from the fleece East High hoodie instantly warmed him up. He also liked the smell of it too, "Hmm EJ's got good cologne." Ricky said to himself as he was pulling up to his house.

"Hey son, dinner will be ready in a few hours." Mike said as Ricky entered the door.

"Great dad, thanks! I'm going to take a nap, kind of worn out from skating with Big Red." Ricky said, running upstairs.

"No problem son, I'll come get you when dinner is ready."

When Ricky got to his room, he immediately threw his backpack off his shoulder, kicked his shoes off, and fell face first onto his bed. Within minutes, he was out like a light and started to let a little drool come out of his mouth. He felt so warm, so safe, so comfortable in that hoodie.

A few hours went by and Ricky was woken up to the voice of his dad, yelling from the kitchen.

"Ricky! Dinner's ready." Ricky got up from his bed, fluffed his curls a little, then headed downstairs.

"Alright dad, what are we having?"

"Spaghetti, your favorite."

"Cool!" Ricky said, picking up a fork to start digging in already.

"Hey, since when do you play waterpolo?"

"Huh?" Mike pointed to EJ's hoodie that Ricky was still wearing.

"Oh, it's EJ's. He,uh, left it at school yesterday. I'm going to give it back to him on Monday. I was cold skating home and this was all I had."

"Well, that's nice of EJ to lend it to you. But you might want to take it off for dinner, don't want to get spaghetti sauce all over it from how you eat."