Single Dads (Part 2)

"So Ricky, how are things at work?"

"Yeah, uh? Sure Nini, Mikey can eat the goldfishes."

"Ricky.."

"Yeah, I'm free tomorrow."

"RICHARD!" Nini said, grabbing one of little Mikey's plush toys and throwing it at Ricky's head.

"OW!"

"Pay attention!"

"Oh sorry." Ricky said, locking his phone and putting it in his pocket.

"Dadda on phone." Little Mikey said to Nini.

"Yes, Mikey.. Your dad is always on his phone." Ricky awkwardly laughed and rolled his eyes at Nini before coming over from the kitchen and sitting down in the living room with his son and best friend.

It has been about 6 months since Ricky and Dr. EJ's first date at the Single Dad's meeting and Burger shop and they have really hit it off. The two men have been texting each other non stop, calling 24/7, and Facetiming every night. They have only met up once or twice since their last date, due to their difficult working schedules, but are still so in love with each other.

EJ is busy 24/7 at the hospital and with his daughter, while Ricky has been trying to write new songs for the artists he represents, but has gotten writer's block lately. Even though two rarely see each other in person, they still talk 24/7.

"I'm sorry Bubs, daddy has been a little preoccupied lately." Ricky said, picking up his son and holding him.

"Yeah, preoccupied with your man." Nini laughed at the last part, causing Ricky's eyes to go wide.

"NINI! Stop!"

"What! You two have been dating for 6 months now, don't you think it's time to tell your kids?"

Ricky hated when Nini was right, which was often, but she did have a point.

"Okay, maybe you're right. But I don't know, it's a big step and a big commitment to let someone meet your kids, maybe EJ isn't ready for it."

"EJ's not ready or you're not?" Nini said, getting up and sitting down next to her best friend on the couch.

"I-"

"Look Ricky, I know it is a big step, but you seem happy, you ARE happy and Mikey should be involved with this happiness too. He shouldn't be wondering why his dad is always on his phone."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"I always am." The short girl said, hitting Ricky's arm.

"But how do I ask him? Do I invite him over? Do we go out? Do we meet at the park? Do we -"

"Ricky, calm down! Why don't you invite him and his daughter to Carlos and Seb's son's birthday party?"

"Birthday party?"

"Yeah, didn't you get Carlos's invite?"

Ricky walks over to his fridge seeing the invite right there in the middle of it.

"Shit! I forgot to RSVP."

"It's okay. I'll have Gina text him, they are business partners anyways."

"Thanks Neenz! You really are the best!"

"I know! Now, I'm gonna get home to my wife, but make sure you text EJ. I'll see you both there this weekend."

"Okay, thanks again Nini." Ricky said, hugging his best friend goodbye.

"Anytime Ricky. Bye, Little Mikey! I'll see you this weekend." Nini got down on her knees for her godson as he ran over to her and hugged her.

"Bye Auntie Nini!" The little boy said, waving at his godmother.