Our Last Time Together

"I'm sorry baby, but I gotta go my own way. I love you Ri." EJ said as he kissed his boyfriend's forehead and lips before walking out the front door.

That was the last thing Ricky heard and saw before his boyfriend left him 3 months ago.

It has been a sad 3 months for Ricky as EJ wasn't around the halls of East High anymore. The two had been inseparable since they officially became a couple last fall. After Miss Jenn put on the Little Mermaid and Gina and EJ were cast in the leads, Ricky could not take his eyes off the prince. He was royalty to him and the way that Prince costume fit on him, yeah he knew he had to have him. After opening night, the two confessed their love for each other and have been together ever since.

They wanted to enjoy their rest of senior year together and be in love, but when EJ got the news of a lifetime he couldn't say no. The jock got into the early honors program at Stanford and had to leave East High right away. He was going to miss the last musical, prom, graduation, and spending the last of his senior year with Ricky. EJ knew he had a future to look forward to, but leaving Ricky behind was not included in those plans.

"Hey Ricky, are you okay?" Nini asked, startling the young skater in his seat.

"What? Yeah, just thinking."

"About EJ?" Ricky nodded his head in sadness.

"It'll be okay Ricky. He is just busy, I know he will call soon." Ricky hoped she was right. He hadn't heard from his boyfriend in a few days and hoped that he was just busy and not avoiding him.

"I wonder who's gonna replace EJ?" Ricky heard a few of the background dancers talk behind him as everyone gathered in the theater room to hear Miss Jenn's announcement.

"Good Morning kiddos, thank you all for coming early this morning for rehearsal. We have some things to go over today. As you know our fearless leading lady, well man, EJ is no longer with us as he is pursuing his dreams at Stanford." Gina and Big Red hugged Ricky as everyone looked towards him in sadness. Ricky put on a fake smile before nodding to Miss Jenn to continue.

"And even though we wanted to make history as the first same sex couple playing Troy and Gabriella in our HSM3 production, unfortunately we have to cast a new Gabriella now." Everyone started to whisper and mumble as they were speculating who the new Gabriella could be.

"It pains me to say this, but our new Gabriella is... Lily."

The blonde girl stood up and cheered and screamed before running over to Ricky and hugging the skater boy in his chair. Gina pushed the girl off of him and gave her a death look that said get away from him. Lily backed off the skater and brushed her skirt before giving him a big smile that resembled the Joker.

"Thank you Miss Jenn for choosing me. I'm going to be the best Gabriella this play has ever seen. Get ready Ritchie." The blonde girl blew him a kiss before walking back to her seat.

"Well moving forward. Taking Lily's role of Martha will be Maddox. Everyone please get situated and practice your lines, we will start rehearsals later today. That is all kiddos." The theater gang all got up and went to their first classes to start the day, except for Ricky.

The curly haired skater boy sat in his seat frozen, nibbling on the strings of his boyfriend's East High waterpolo hoodie. EJ's sweatshirts always made him feel safe and warm. It was his favorite article of clothing from his boyfriend and with him gone now, this was all he had of him. The smell of his cologne still lingers on the red hoodie and Ricky can't help but feel both happy and sad at the same time.

"Ricky, are you okay?" Miss Jenn said coming down from the stage and sitting next to her student. Ricky nodded, but she knew better and knew he was lying.