Be My Valentine

EJ's POV

"I wish you were here Nini. Valentine's Day isn't the same without you."

"I know Ricky, but I'm over here at YAC and you are there at East High. Our lives are just different now, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. We will have more time to spend together soon."

Miss Jenn asked me to go get Ricky, who was sitting out in the hallway, so we could start rehearsal when I overheard his phone call with Nini. Even though Ricky and I aren't the best of friends, he's lucky he has someone for Valentine's Day, while I'm over here all alone...

I'm standing in the doorframe waiting for Nini and RIcky to finish up their conversation, so that it won't look like I'm eavesdropping. Ricky looks sad that Nini isn't here for him on Valentine's day, I sort of feel bad for the dude.

"I gotta go Ricky, class is starting. Have fun at rehearsal and tell everyone I said hi!"

I make my move out of the doorframe to get Ricky's attention and he sees me.

"Oh hey EJ, just one sec."

"EJ?! Is EJ there? Tell him I said hi!!" Ricky turns the phone around so the Facetime call is now facing me.

"Hi Nini, Happy Valentine's Day. We all miss you."

"Hi EJ! Happy Valentine's Day to you too, I miss you all so much! Hopefully, I will be back soon." I wave at her throughout the phone as Ricky takes the phone back.

"Alright Neenz, looks like Miss Jenn is looking for me. Love you, have a good day." He says while blowing a kiss to her through the phone and hanging up.

"Why the long face Caswell? And why are you in all black?"

"Huh? Oh.. nothing." Ricky gave me a questioning look like he wanted me to tell more.

"Okay, fine. It's my first year without a Valentine and I guess I dressed how I was feeling on the inside."

He gets up from sitting down on the ground and walks up to me. He is face to face with me and smiles, before patting my back.

"It's okay Caswell. You'll find someone, the day has just started." He laughs as he walks into the bomb shelter.

I never understood why Miss Jenn makes us rehearse in the morning before school, but I guess we need the practice. Throughout rehearsal, I thought about what Ricky said and maybe, just maybe I could find someone to be my Valentine.

Rehearsal ended and I walked to my locker to grab my books before 1st period when a note fell out of my locker. I opened the note and read what was on it.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

Sugars are sweet

And so are you.

Love, your Secret Admirer.

I smiled at the cute note and looked around my locker to see who dropped it off, but no one was around. I tried to analyze the handwriting to see who wrote the note, but realized the note was typed out. A smile grew across my face and my heart started to become happy, someone could be my Valentine.

After my first period, I walked into my second still thinking about the note, when I spotted a piece of paper on my desk. It was another note with another poem inside of it.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

Dogs are my favorite,