When We Were Young

"Mike! You missed the exit! It was the one we just passed."

"No Lynne, the exit is in 2 miles!"

"That's not what the map says!" Lynne says holding up her map in the car.

"I think I know where Yellowstone is. All of the signs have been pointing to it along the freeway."

"You mean the signs we just passed about 5 miles back."

"God, why are you always so mean!"

"Why are you such an idiot, Mike?!"

Ricky heard all of this happening as he took his headphones off for a second, while listening to his favorite CD, Taylor Swift's Fearless. He still couldn't believe his parents wanted to do a family road trip the month before school started. He hated being with them in general, but now he has to be with them for a whole week out in the mountains.

"Look, the sign is coming up! Yellowstone next exit."

"That says Jellystone, Mike.Some kids wrote that sign as a prank. God you are so clueless.."

"Well, maybe you can drive next time. Instead of just yapping your mouth over there."

Ricky shook his head in sadness as he put his headphones back on, trying to drown out the sounds of his parents yelling. Their marriage counselor said to get away for a little while and be in each other's company, but that ain't looking too bright right about now.

He didn't care what the stupid sign said, all he cared about was getting out of this car and away from them. Ricky hugged his teddy bear tight as that was his only source of comfort as he leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes as Taylor's Fifteen started to play.

This camping trip was not only a counseling process for Mike and Lynne, but it was also supposed to be a graduation present for Ricky. He just finished the 8th grade and was getting ready for highschool. His parents wanted to spend the last few weeks of summer together before he starts high school.

"Ricky, hey bud, we're here." Mike said, waking the sleeping Ricky up.

Ricky got out of the truck and saw that they were finally in the woods, was it Yellowstone though? Who knows.

"Dad, where are we?"

"Yellowstone baby! Well, at least I think it is."

"Typical." Lynne whispered under her breath.

Mike just rolled his eyes as he started to pitch their tents. "Hey bud, do you think you can go find us some firewood? So, we can start a fire to keep us warm tonight."

"Sure thing dad."

"Typical Mike, can never do anything himself"

"You know what Lynne, I'm tired of this. I was trying to set up the tent and then you go and -"

"And what? You wanna finish that sentence?"

Ricky just rolled his eyes, grabbed his CD player and headphones, and headed for the woods to grab some firewood. He didn't care where he was going or how long it would take, he just wanted to get away from his parents and their yelling.

As Ricky was walking through the woods just picking up any firewood or sticks he saw, he was quietly singing along to his music and trying to forget everything about his life. He didn't see where he was going and bumped into someone in the middle of the woods causing him to fall and drop all of the firewood.

"AHHH!" Ricky screamed as he fell.

"Woah, sorry there, I didn't see you." This stranger said, helping Ricky pick up his firewood and help him up.