Why Can't I Be Brave Like Him?

"Guys... I'm bisexual" Ricky said in the middle of the LGBTQ+ club meeting.

'Omg, Ricky! I am so happy for you" Nini said.

"Thank god, I can talk about it with our friends now. Such a weight keeping this secret." Big Red said, letting a giant breath go.

"Welcome to the team, Ricky!" Gina said, high-fiving him.

"Another win for the gays!" Carlos shouted.

"Bi's, but thank you for telling us Ricky." Seb corrected his boyfriend then smiled at Ricky.

"Girl, it was about time. So proud of you." Kourtney said, hugging Ricky.

"As president of the LGBTQ+ club at East High, I am so happy and proud of you Ricky. Thank you for telling us and trusting us. Meeting adjournment." Ashlyn said, hitting her gavel.

"Yeah, Ricky, happy for you." EJ whispered, but only Ash heard him. Ricky looked over at EJ as he was the one who didn't say anything and EJ just smiled at him causing Ricky to smile back.

A few months ago, Ashlyn, Carlos, and Seb asked the school if they could form the first ever LGBTQ+ club on campus. The school approved, but they needed an advisor, and who did they ask to advise their club? Well, no other than Miss Jenn herself, who happily and ecstatically agreed to advise her students. When flyers went up, not my people signed up, instead it was just the drama department signing up.

Miss Jenn took this opportunity to get extra practice time for the musical during the club meetings as most of the drama students signed up. Nini and Gina were the first time to sign up as they were a couple, Big Red followed suit being a bisexual who was also dating the president, Kourtney followed after as she was a strong ally for the community and wanted to be with her friends. Nini and Big Red begged and begged Ricky to sign up and he finally did. Lastly was EJ. He wanted to sign up as he was the cousin of the president and most of the drama kids were doing it too, but there might be another reason why EJ signed up so willingly.

After a month of weekly club meetings, Ricky was able to get the courage to come out to his friends. He felt so happy and relieved that they all were so supportive of him, even if not everyone said something out loud. After the announcement, Ash noticed something with her cousin, so she stopped EJ after the meeting to talk to him..

"Hey EJ, wait behind for me?"

"Yeah sure."

"So I noticed you were... quiet when Ricky came out to everyone. Is everything okay? You support him right?"

EJ stayed silent, he didn't know if he should tell Ash about what he was feeling.

"No yeah, I totally support him! I support everyone."

"Okay? So why didn't you say anything to him about it?"

"Because.. Because.. Because I lik-

"EJ! What's up, cap!" EJ was cut off mid sentence by his waterpolo teammates.

"Hey guys, what are you doing here? We don't have practice today" EJ immediately changed the subject with his cousin, as he didn't want to discuss anything in front of his teammates.

"Just getting in some extra reps. What are you doing here after school? Practicing for your fairy play again?" One of the guys said, causing the other teammates to laugh with him.

"No. I was uh-um."

"He was coming to pick me up. I walked to school today, so I asked EJ if he could get me a ride home." Ash said, covering for her cousin AGAIN! He is gonna owe her big time.