Why Do You Keep Saying Goodbye?

"Got my homework, my phone, my backpack."

"EJ! You're gonna be late for school sweetie."

"I know Mom! Be down soon!"

EJ walked around his room to grab his things that he needed for school today. He was about to walk out of his room, when his laptop dinged. Normally, he wouldn't check his email on his laptop at this time, but something pulled him to check it. He went over to his laptop, opened his email, and read what was on it.

"Holy shit!" EJ said excitedly. He printed the email and rushed straight to his car.

As the senior pulled into the East High parking lot, barely making it to school on time, he was greeted by his loving and over excited redheaded cousin.

"Hey Ash! Morning. What are you doing out here?" EJ said, approaching the front of the school.

"Morning Eej and waiting for you. So... did you hear back yet?"

"Is that why you're waiting to see if I heard back from Stanford yet?"

"Duh! I'm only a sophomore, so I still have some time before I think about college, but this is a big deal for you! So have you heard back yet?"

"Well actually..." EJ reached into his backpack and pulled out a piece of paper.

"LET ME SEE! IS THAT IT?" Ashlyn said, trying to grab the paper from EJ's hand.

"Hold up! Let me give it to you before you rip it." He said as he handed his cousin the paper.

"Dear Mr. Caswell, blah, blah, blah. Congratulations! You've been accepted into Stanford University's early honors program majoring in pre-law! Holy shit EJ! You did it! You got into Stanford! I'm so proud of you!" Ashlyn said, screaming and jumping up and down before hugging her cousin.

"Thanks Ash! And I just found out this morning right before I got here actually. That is one of the reasons why I was running late this morning."

"Wait, wait, wait. EARLY honors program? As in you're leaving early."

"Well yeah.. But I haven't accepted anything yet or told anyone, so can you please keep this to yourself for now?"

"I'll try, but what are you going to tell him?" Ashlyn pointed into the school to the skater boy waiting by his locker for EJ.

"I-I don't know yet. I don't want to tell him, it's going to crush him."

"Well you better tell him soon Eej. Word travels fast around here. He would want to hear it from you first before he hears it from someone else." EJ just nodded to his cousin. He knew she was right, but he couldn't tell Ricky.. Not right now.

"You're right Ash."

"Always am. I'll see you at lunch, okay? Congrats again!" The red–headed hugged her cousin before walking into school and heading to her first class.

EJ stood there, outside the glass doors of East High, staring at his beautiful boyfriend inside. How could he tell the person he loves the most that he is leaving him? They have had the talk about EJ eventually leaving for college, but that was months from now. They still had prom and graduation and summer to enjoy. EJ couldn't break Ricky's heart, he just couldn't.

"Morning baby." Ricky said, as he kissed his boyfriend when EJ approached his locker.

"Morning bubba. Sorry for being late, busy morning."

"It's okay, we still have some time before class." Ricky winked at EJ before wrapping his arms around the taller boy's neck and making out with him by the lockers.