My Teammate's Bestfriend

"Today is the day Ricky, I'm gonna do it."

"Red, I don't know about this."

"Hey! I thought you were supposed to be my best friend and support me on my decisions."

"I am! I will. It's just-"

"Just what?"

"Basketball tryouts? Really. Why couldn't you join the baking club with Ashlyn?"

"Because I did baking club last year and you know how much I love basketball. I really want to try out for the team this year and I've been practicing! I think I can make varsity this year."

Ricky almost fell off his skateboard as they entered the front doors of East High. He couldn't believe his best friend wanted to try out for the basketball team! He didn't want him to become one of those meathead, stuck up jocks. He wanted him to stay the same loveable, fun Big Red.

"I just don't want you to turn into a jock."

"What's wrong with being a jock?"

"Exhibit A." Ricky points to the group of basketball jocks near the lockers who are whistling at the girls walking by or pushing "nerds" into the lockers or tripping them. They were all about 6 feet or taller and had on their letterman jackets. Yeah, Ricky did not want his best friend to become like that.

"Those are just a few jocks, Rick, not all of them are like that."

"Sure Red, sure."

"Look! Maybe he's not like that." Red points to the new jock that just showed up to the group and started high fiving and fist bumping his teammates.

"Oh yes, the head jock himself, EJ Caswell." The basketball team captain leans up against the lockers and stares and whistles at the girls who walk by just to please his teammates. But when no one was watching or paying attention, EJ would stare at the guy's asses as they walked past him, it was his secret that he kept to himself.

"See what I mean. Even the head jock himself is a self-absorbed misogynistic asshole." Ricky said, shutting his locker and walking in the opposite direction of the jocks to his first class of the day.

"Ricky..."

"BUT!"

"Yeah?"

"Since you're my best friend, I will support you in anything you do. I know you'll do great out there Red!"

"Thanks Ricky!" The redheaded future jock hugged his best friend on the way to class.

"How about you come to tryouts and cheer me on?"

"How about I'll meet you afterwards and we can go get ice cream to celebrate you trying out?"

"Sounds good! Tryouts end at 5. See you then! Bye Ricky!" Big Red said as he went in the opposite direction of Ricky.

"Bye Red! Good luck! See you then." Ricky waved to his bestie before walking to his class.

"You're gonna need it." Ricky whispered the last part to himself as he entered the classroom.

School ended and it was time for basketball tryouts at 3pm. Big Red made his way to the boy's locker room to change with the rest of the kids trying out and was met with kids who look like him, but also the returning jocks. He took an open locker and changed into his PE clothes that he had in his gym bag, when one of the jocks started to yell at the newbies.

"Look guys, we have some fresh meat out here. They think they can make the team, how cute." One of the jock's said, laughing at the new kids.

"Asshole." One of the new tryouts said under their breath.