Bowen's Burgers

"Okay, you add salt, then you add pepper. Mix it all together and we get...dinner! Voila!" EJ said to himself, staring at the pot in front of him.

"EMI! Dinner time! Come down." The 38 year old father said from the kitchen.

"Emi, hello! Dinner!"

"Coming dad, relax!" The 16 year old girl said from on top of the stairs.

EJ rolled his eyes as he turned around and started to set the table for him and his daughter. He poured a couple of glasses of water for them, placed forks and spoons on top of the napkins, and went to go plate the food when the pot caught on fire.

"SHIT!" EJ yelled running over in the kitchen cabinet to grab the fire extinguisher.

"Okay dad, I'm ready for din- WOAH! FIRE!"

"Thanks Emi, I can see that."

"Well, put it out!"

"I'm trying!"

EJ put out the flames with the extinguisher before dumping the pot in the kitchen sink.

"Well, dinner's screwed."

"Haven't you learned by now that you can't cook, dad."

"I thought I would try... again. Cooking was always your mom's thing, not mine."

"Yeah.. I miss her everyday."

"Me too, Emi.. Me too."

"So what's for dinner then?"

"I can call us a pizza?" EJ suggested.

"Nah, we had pizza last week. What about a burger?"

"Oooo, I can go for a good burger right now. That sounds good! Know a place?"

"Actually yeah! This kid at school was giving out flyers for this new burger diner in town. It looks like his family owns it. Here." Emi says handing her father the flyer.

"Bowen's Burgers. Hmmm how original."

"So, what you want kid?"

Emi raised her eyebrow at her dad, "Um burger duh."

"Right right. Care to come?"

"No thanks dad, I'm already in my pajamas. Can you just bring it home?"

"Okay kiddo, I'll be back."

EJ grabbed his car keys and headed to the new restaurant in town. He recognized the building when pulling up to it, I guess the new owners rebranded it. The 38 year old man walked into the restaurant and was instantly greeted by a friendly hostess, who took him to the diner bar to order.

"Welcome to Bowen's Burgers, can I get your order?"

"Yeah, let me get 2 cheeseburger combos, one with no onions. To go please." The young waiter took the order and let out a sigh before heading back to the kitchen.

Within the 10 minutes it took to get the order, EJ scanned the restaurant seeing how it was pretty crowded for it being new. He noticed the many cooks in the back, the cool skateboarding yet musical theater posters along the walls. He wished he had a restaurant like this when he was growing up, a place he could hangout out.

"Here's your order sir."

"Thanks!" EJ handed the waiter his card for the food.

As he waited for the waiter to return with his card, he opened one of the burgers and took a bite out of it as a giant piece of onion came out of it. EJ was disgusted by it, he hated onions.