All Too Well

The sun is shining through the bedroom window of my boyfriend's place. I roll over in his bed to see him lying there right next to me, looking so happy when he's asleep. I slowly start to play with his hair, trying not to wake him up. I love him so much.

"Good Morning EJ." I whispered, kissing his forehead.

"Good Morning Ricky. What time is it?"

"7am, bright and early."

"Good, that gives us plenty of time to head upstate."

"Upstate? For what?"

"Remember that dinner we're having with my work friends? It's at my parent's cabin upstate, so we have the place to ourselves, until everyone comes tomorrow."

"Oh yeah, that's right. Can't wait to meet everyone."

"They'll love you. I love you."

"I love you too, EJ. Now, let's get ready."

We drive in EJ's 1989 Mercedes up the wilderness road to his parent's cabin. I look out the passenger side window seeing the trees, the cloudy sky, and the leaves falling, everything feels right. EJ reaches over and holds my hand, kissing the top of it, as we pull into the driveway of the cabin.

EJ takes our luggage into the cabin as he heads towards the kitchen to grab us some drinks. I walked around the cabin looking at old family photos of the Caswell's, something about the cool air and calming presence felt like home to me.

I unravel my red scarf leaving it on the stairway post, I'll remember to grab it later I tell myself... EJ returns from the kitchen with a big smile on his face.

"Come on, I want to show you something." he tells me.

I follow him back to the car as he drives us throughout the woods. He interlocks our fingers while Taylor Swift plays on the radio, us smiling together, everything feels so right. EJ parks near a small lake with a hiking trail. We start to walk together on the trail, I then jump on his back like a child and he carries me along the trail. My arms wrapped around his neck, my head leaning against his, his arms wrapped around the back of my legs, it all felt like love.

We continued on the trail until we reached the lake. I jump off of his back and he twirls me around kissing me as the leaves fall from the trees. I smile and he moves a curl out of my face. I smile even harder and pull him down into another kiss. He grabs my hand and I lean into his arm as we walk around the lake. I find a small log and pull EJ down to sit with me. I pull out my Airpods and put one into his ear as I press play on my phone, "Lover" by Taylor Swift starts to play.

He smiles and pulls me up as we slow dance to the song playing in our ears. No one is out here and it's like the whole world has gone away and it is just us two left. We danced around the lake, twirling one another, kissing one another, and just smiling like two idiots in love.

EJ pulls the Airpod out of my ear, "It's getting late, we should head back and get some rest before everyone shows up tomorrow."

"Yeah, we should." I smiled, grabbed his hand as we walked back to the car.

The next day we were just getting ready for EJ's coworkers and friends to show up. I cooked a whole feast for them, while EJ got the decorations and table settings out of the garage.

All of his friends and coworkers started to arrive and we began to eat dinner. Everything was going great for EJ. He was laughing, smiling, and having a good time with all of his friends. I was sitting next to him at the dinner table, awkwardly laughing at the jokes that were being made. He never formally introduced me to everyone, so I just sat there barely talking to anyone. I started to rub the back of my neck, I tend to do that a lot when I was nervous, so instead I reached for EJ's hand trying to interlock our fingers for comfort. But instead, he just grabs my hand, places it on the table, and just pats the top of it. I felt defeated, I felt sad, I felt alone. It was like the first crack in the glass had just occurred.