My Hero

"Hey guys, it's me again! Video journal #2, today I -"

"Ricky, who are you talking to?"

"Uh no one dad!" Ricky said, pushing pause on his iPad.

"Okay, son. Hurry up, so we can go to the park."

"Okay, dad!"

Ricky pressd play on his iPad to continue talking. "Sorry journal, we'll continue this after the park. Maybe I can meet some new friends there!"

5 year old (soon to be 6 year old) Ricky was doing his daily video journal on his iPad, when his Dad reminded him that they were going to the park today. He got the idea for a video journal from his best friend, Nini. She told him that she writes in her journal/diary everyday about her feelings, how her day went, and even some song lyrics. Ricky loved that idea, but he hated writing and wasn't very good at it, so he thought he would do a video journal instead.

Ricky has been doing this video journal everyday for almost a month now. It has been kind of hard and emotional for him, since he only talks about his parents divorce and not having that many friends. He has Nini, but he has always felt like he was missing something... or someone.

Ricky grabbed his favorite toys and packed them in a bag to head to the park. He packed his stuffed teddy bear, Franklin, for comfort, his favorite dinosaurs, race cars, and his new favorite toy, dolls. Whenever he went over NIni's house, he would always play dolls with her and it was so much fun, so his dad bought him some of his own to play with.

Of course, Lynne wasn't supportive of this and yelled at Mike for going behind her back to buy Ricky those dolls, but Ricky was so happy when he got them. Lynne was hoping it would be a phase for Ricky and that he would grow out of it, but a year later he is still playing with dolls and is happier than ever. Mike never understood Lynne's frustration with the dolls, he didn't care what his son played with, as long as he was happy. No wonder why they got a divorce...

"You ready for the park, Rickster?" Mike said to Ricky as he came down the stairs.

"All ready, dad!"

"Great! Let's go! Then afterwards we can go get ice cream!" Mike said, picking up Ricky and giving him a kiss on his forehead.

"YAY! Thanks Daddy!" Ricky said, hugging Mike.

The Bowen boys arrived at the park just minutes later. Mike went to sit down on the bench with a book in hand, while Ricky ran over to the sandbox with his backpack and began to play with his toys. At first, he pulled out his dinosaurs and cars hoping that it would draw in new friends, but nothing happened. After a few minutes or so, Ricky decided to pull his dolls out and began to play with them, hoping no one would say anything.

"Hey, can - can I play with you?"

Ricky had his back to the mysterious voice and froze in the sandbox. Did someone actually want to play with him? He immediately hid his dolls in his backpack, knowing that no one would want to play with them.

"Ye-yeah." Ricky said as he put his dolls away.

"You don't have to put those away, you know. We can play with them too."

Oh no, Ricky got caught. Should he put them away? What if this person plays with them and then breaks his favorite dolls? Ricky started to feel nervous, until he turned around to look at the person in front of him. "Wow" was all Ricky could say.

"You okay there?" You look like you saw a ghost?"

"Uh-yeah, fine." Ricky was speechless. This person was glowing in the afternoon sunlight. The sun shining behind them, the smile glowing brighter each time, and their eyes bluer than the ocean.