Soulmates

"I just don't know NIni. Will I ever find mine?" Ricky asked, sadly.

"You will Ricky, one day. And if not you will always have me." Nini said, smiling to her best friend.

Today in English class, Ricky and Nini were reading Shakespeare, specifically Romeo & Juliet, and the teacher started to talk about soulmates. The teacher said that every person has a soulmate whether that be platonic or romantic. Ricky knew he found his platonic soulmate in Nini. They had been bestfriends since kindergarten and were closer than ever. Even through their random and rocky relationship freshman year of highschool, they were both there for each other when coming out.

Nini knew she found her romantic soulmate when a curly-haired dancer strutted her way through auditions for the musical. She instantly felt something inside of her click, like two halves of a heart connecting. Right away when she discovered this, she immediately told Ricky about it and he was so happy for her, but couldn't wonder himself if he would ever feel like that too.

That was 2 years ago, now in their junior year of highschool, Ricky still hasn't found anyone or felt like that... yet.

"Ricky, it just takes time. Not everyone gets lucky, like me." Nini said, smiling.

"Yeah, yeah Neenz. Thanks for rubbing it in. But the teacher said everyone finds their soulmate by the time they are 16.. News flash, I'm 17 now. " Ricky said, defeated.

"I'm sorry Ricky, but who knows, maybe they could be just around the corner." Nini said, as the bell rang for lunch.

"Yeah, hopefully. I'm gonna use the restroom, save me a seat at lunch?"

"Of course."

Ricky didn't really have to go to the restroom, he just needed a place to clear his head. He loved Nini, that was his best friend but he always got annoyed with her whenever she rubbed her relationship with Gina in his face. He knew they were going to be all over each other at lunch today, so he needed some space before walking into all of that.

"You got this Ricky! You are cute, you are funny, you are a great person and you will find your soulmate soon." Ricky said to himself in the boy's bathroom mirror, while splashing some water on his face.

"Yeah you are Bowen." Ricky turned around to see EJ Caswell coming out of the stalls.

"Oh, hey EJ. You heard all of that?" Ricky said, blushing and trying not to feel so embarrassed.

EJ walked up to the sinks to wash his hands, when he answered Ricky. "Yeah, heard it all. You are cute and funny and a great person. You will find your soulmate one day, don't worry."

EJ smiled at Ricky and the skater boy instantly felt something inside of him click. Like how Nini described it before, he felt his heart being full and loved and happy. He could have sworn he heard clapping and cheering coming from his brain. He felt whole.

The two boys reached for the paper towels to dry their hands, when their fingers touched each other, just lightly grazing though. Ricky could have sworn he saw a spark come from his fingers. He looked up at the jock who was smiling down at him.

"You good there Bowen? You seem out of it. Maybe you need to go splash some more water in your face again." EJ said, with a chuckle.

"Huh? Oh yeah, sorry just... nevermind. Gotta go, see ya." Ricky said, grabbing his backpack and running out of the bathroom as fast as he could.

He ran straight to Nini and Gina who were sitting at their usual lunch table. The two girls were talking about some show and were throwing food in each other's mouths, when a frantic Ricky appeared.