45

"Here, you can wear this until I get better clothes for you." Colby said and handed me the shirt he had been wearing.

"Thanks." I said and took it from him. "I'm gonna heat your food up, will you be okay alone?" He asked as I nodded and slipped the tshirt over my naked body.

Colby smiled at me then breathed a small laugh. "What?" I asked and scrunched my brow. "You look good in my clothes. That's all." He said then turned and left the room.

I sighed then towel dried my hair, feeling grateful that Colby was right.

I felt better after my shower. Much more grounded.

When I finished drying my hair, I hung the towel up then went out to the main part of the room.

"Where did you go?" I asked quietly, walking up to him.

"Seattle. It was a trap." He said then set my heated food on the counter. "Is my family okay?" I asked as his eyes flashed with something.

Maybe anger?

Was I making him angry?

"They're fine." He assured then handed me a fork. "Sorry if I made you mad.." I said as he shook his head.

"You didn't make me mad, Jules." He said then got me a glass of water. "You looked angry." I mumbled and grabbed the food, making my way over to the couch.

"I am. Not at you though." He said then sat next to me. "Aren't you hungry?" I asked and took a forkful of chicken.

"A little bit." He said and watched me. "Here." I said then ate the chicken on my fork and handed it to him.

"You don't have to do that, sweetheart." He said as I nodded. "Yeah, I do." I said then held up the chicken.

We ended up eating mostly in silence. I could tell something was bothering Colby but he wasn't saying what it was.

"So what's next?" I asked and looked up at him. He was staring at the bruises on my neck from where that guy had nearly choked me to death.

There was an angry behind his blue eyes, one that wasn't going to be extinguished any time soon.

"I don't know." He said after a moment of silence.

That answer scared me.

"Oh." I whispered as he shook his head. "It's just dangerous. They won't let up until you're killed and I'm not letting that happen." He said and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"Why did you go?" I asked and looked up at him, resting my head on his chest. He sighed and looked down at me, brushing my wet hair from my face.

"Did they go after my family? Are they okay? Please tell me they're okay." I said frantically.

"They're fine, Jules. Totally fine." He said as my heart beated against my chest.

"Did you see them?" I asked with a hopeful expression.

"Yes." He said as I sat up. "All of them? Are they okay? I wish I could hug them." I said and put my hands on my face.

"I only saw two of them. Jenna and I think it was Sam." He said as I watched him intently.

He looked almost pained by my excitement. "What?" I asked, my heart dropping.

"Nothing. You're tired. We should go to bed." He said then stood up.

"I'm not too tired to talk about my family, Colby. What are you hiding?" I asked as I stood up.

"You're tired." He repeated as my eyes stung with anger. "What aren't you telling me, Colby!?" I snapped as he glared at me.