46

Colby's POV

I was falling in love with Julia.

I hated to admit it because that's when this got dangerous, but after the past couple of days I knew it.

I had been denying it for a long time but the truth was that I already loved her.

After last night I knew it in my heart, while I washed the evidence of her scariest night off of her.

Part of me knew she felt it, too. She felt something for me that I knew would get us into danger.

Leaving her today was hard. I would never forgive myself for leaving her, only for her to be traumatized by her first kill.

I had men stationed everywhere though. Nobody would get even close to her before they were dead.

"Are we going to go open this box?" Sam asked as we walked towards my car.

"That's the plan." I said and got in. "Are you nervous for it?" He asked as I shook my head.

"Not at all." I said then started the car and started driving to the office.

I knew that I probably should have been nervous to open it but for some reason I wasn't.

It was a velvet box which for some reason wasn't leading me towards Tony sending it.

He wasn't that fucking classy.

"We need to kill Tony." I said as we pulled into the auto body shop.

"Oh?" Sam asked as I nodded. "It's either him or Julia and it's not gonna be Julia." I said as he chuckled.

"Because you love her." He said as I nodded. "It's because I love her." I said as he looked over at me.

"Wait, are you serious?" He asked as I nodded. "Yeah." I said simply then put my code in to summon the elevator.

"What changed?" Sam asked as we got in. "Nothing changed." I said as he nodded. "Gotcha." He said then nudged my shoulder.

"Well, you know we have her back. We'll kill Tony then she'll be a little safer. If it gets out that you love her though, that's when things get messy." He said as I nodded.

"That was my mistake to begin with." I said with a nod as we walked towards my office.

When we got in there I looked at the velvet box and felt my stomach clench.

What if I was being too naive and this was just another trick that I was too blinded by love to see.

I needed to get a grip, even if it meant that I had to stay away from Julia.

"You look nervous now." Sam pointed out as I rolled my eyes.

"I'm fine." I said then opened the box to see a postcard looking piece of paper.

You are formally invited:

SS banquet October 23rd, 2022.
Bring all members of your party
We look forward to meeting you, Mr. Brock.
67 Winston St.
Seattle Washington, 98101

"Shit." I whispered and looked up at Sam. "What is it?" Sam asked as I handed him the invitation.

"Holy shit. Secret society?" Sam asked as I nodded. "Seems like it." I said and rubbed my chin with my fingers.

"Do we trust it?" Sam asked as I closed my eyes. "I don't know." I said then sat down. "This looks official, and unlike anything we have ever received." I said and looked at it again.

"You, me, Jake, and Corey. That's who's going." I said as Sam nodded. "You think it's safe to leave Julia?" He asked as I nodded.

"She'll stay down here while we're away. The other girls can, too. We'll get it ready for them so that its liveable." I said with a sure nod.