130

Colby's POV

I felt my own heart stop and I pulled away, looking at Julia.

"Jules?" I asked, noticing her choking on her own breath.

"Get her oxygen!" I gasped, looking up at Nate. "How is that possible?" Sam mumbled, looking at Julia with shock.

"Nate!" I snapped, laying Julia back. She was still struggling to breathe but she was fighting.

"Here." Nate said and put an oxygen mask over Julia's mouth and nose.

"You're okay, darling. You're fighting and I'm so proud of you." I said and took her hand, holding it tightly.

"She died.." Sam mumbled in disbelief. "I told you she needed more time." I said and focused on Julia.

"Julia, can you hear us?" Nate asked as he set up an IV for her.

"Why isn't she waking up?" I asked and looked over at Nate. "I don't know! She shouldn't even be alive right now." He said with astonishment.

"Well she clearly is, so help her!" I snapped, looking at Julia again.

"I'm trying." Nate said and focused. We watched him work on trying to stabilize Julia's breathing.

Her chest was moving up and down sporadically, as if she was struggling to breathe.

"Keep fighting, sweetheart. Please fight for me." I begged, taking her hand.

Nate worked for a while before he was able to get her stabilized.

"What do we do now?" I asked, looking up at Nate. "I don't know." He said honestly.

"I'll call Dr. Platt." Nate said then grabbed his phone and stepped out of the room.

"I can't believe that happened." Sam said as I nodded. "She's a fighter. I just don't know why she isn't waking up." I mumbled.

"Maybe she's just not ready." He said as I nodded. "Maybe." I said as Nate came back into the room.

There was a sad look on his face, which probably meant he didn't get good news.

"Don't look at me like that." I said as he sighed. "I'm sorry. He just doesn't think that her lungs are strong enough. She might be fighting now but she can't fight for long." Nate said as I shook my head.

"He doesn't know her like I do." I said noticing Julia's chest slowing down slightly. She was struggling less, but wasn't breathing nearly as much.

"So she's going to die anyways?" I asked as Nate closed his eyes.

"No, she's not gonna die." Sam said with so much certainty I believed him.

"She literally came back from the dead because she wasn't done fighting. She's not gonna die." Sam said and took Julia's other hand.

"He's right." I said quietly. "She didn't fight for nothing." I said and reached over, caressing her cheek gently.

"So we just sit here and wait?" Nate asked as I nodded. "That's exactly what we do." I said with confidence.

I didn't know if I was right, but I knew I wasn't going to give up on her.

I shouldn't have let them pull the plug in the first place.

We sat with Julia for a while before Sam left to bring the kids back to the house.

I wasn't going to leave Julia since there was no machine breathing for her. I didn't want her to stop breathing, so I was going to keep her safe by watching her.