86

"Colby, I don't want to." I whispered as he led me to the car.

"I know tonight was hard. I just want you to escape with me for a little while." He said and turned around, cupping my cheek gently.

"He's gonna kill you, isn't he?" I asked, my voice cracking. "No, sweetheart." He said then kissed my forehead.

"Shouldn't I get changed?" I asked and looked down at the amazing dress I was wearing.

It didn't feel as special anymore.

"No, it could be fun to be dressed like this." Colby said with a laugh then opened my door.

I sighed then got in the car. I was exhausted from crying and honestly just wanted to go and hide from the world.

It was kinda scary how calm Colby was being about all of this. I know he was used to threatening situations but this was next level.

I'd like to say I had intell on how my dad would act in this situation but that wasn't the case.

I didn't know who he was anymore.

"What did he talk to you about?" I whispered as Colby got in the car. "We aren't gonna talk about him." He said then took my hand.

"What are we doing?" I asked as he brought my hand to his lips. "I'm going to treat my beautiful girlfriend to a fun adventure on her twenty first birthday." He said as I sighed.

"It's already ruined." I mumbled. "No. It's only seven thirty, so the day isn't even close to over." Colby said and focused on the road.

"I can't even go places here..missing remember?" I asked and looked out the window.

"Your dad wouldn't have reported you as missing. He couldn't if he wanted to stay under the radar." Colby explained.

"Plus we're not going anywhere that anyone would recognize you." He said as I nodded.

"Because I never really existed here." I whispered.

I felt my eyes sting with tears again, which was just getting annoying at this point.

"Julia. I know that what happened is extremely hard but you still mean a lot to him." Colby said then pulled up to a grocery store.

"A grocery store? While wearing this?" I asked, ignoring his comment, as he nodded. "Told you it would be fun." He said with a wink then got out of the car.

I sighed then got out of the car, feeling the cool winter air hitting my skin.

"Come on." Colby said and took my hand. "What are we getting?" I asked quietly as he grinned. "Whatever you want, birthday girl." He said with a grin.

"You're really not letting the birthday thing go, are you?" I asked as he shook his head. "Nope. My beautiful girlfriend only turns twenty one once." Colby said as we walked into the store.

Everyone stared at us while we walked down the aisles in our fanciest clothes.

I didn't blame them because we looked absolutely insane.

"What flavor?" Colby asked and held up two cakes.

"Chocolate." I said as he chuckled. "I knew you wouldn't pick vanilla." He said with a laugh.

"Never vanilla." I said as he put the cake in the basket.

We ended up grabbing a bunch of stuff before we made our way back to the car.

"Alright. Now we have snacks and alcohol, time for step two." Colby said as he put the groceries in the car.

"What's step two?" I asked with a sigh. "You'll see, darling." He said then took my hand and started driving.