The Impossible - M. DN x Reader

Narrator

Y/n had been out with their friends all night. Drinking, eating, and just having a good time.

It was always the same.

Y/n never as good enough as the rest.

Regardless of the compliments..,

"You're so smart."

"You're so funny."

"You're so strong."

"Your mindset is so mature."

Y/n still felt insufficient to the standard.

Y/n felt lacking in more ways than one and no simple, yet empty like, compliment was going to change that.

- Y/N POV -

It was a drunken night with my friends and it ended just like any other.

"I'm just saying with a mind like yours, screw the college crack, business is where you need to be. You know you're smarter than the rest. Why not take the opportunity I'm offering?" My friend drunkenly asked.

It was always the same thing.

Me and my friends would get together to catch up and talk nonsense with each other. We'd share what had been going on in our lives in the last few months or years.... and then we'd go home...

But not before me getting a big lecture about some opportunity or offer I ended up not taking.

"I already told you. The world is a brutal place when you're below the standard. I am not going to entertain the impossible," I sighed out...

Before taking  another shot.

My friends were not like me.

My friends grew up well. Two parent households with some siblings. They had a decent upbringing. The type of upbringing that you'd complain about, but you knew at the end of the day that things were just fine.

Me on the other hand, I had a hard time as it was.... remembering that people had dads....

I grew up with my grandma, then moved in with my mom and her boyfriend. All of a sudden I had a step-brother and a few years after that... I had a half sister...

It was all pretty disconnected to me.

As I got older, I was left to do things on my own.

I started working at a pretty young age. I had no money for college and little to no support, so I never went to school past high school... because I had to find a way to live on my own...

Still, I did my best to keep up with my peers...

Though, I never felt even close enough to their league.

"You're missing out. That inferiority complex is going to get the best of you one day. Just keep on missing all those opportunities knocking at your door and watch as the most amazing things flash by you," My friend smugly responded, taking a shot before getting up from the table.

Him and a few others said goodbye, waving and smiling on the way out of the restaurant.

I was getting ready to leave myself, when someone suddenly caught my attention...

"You know he's wrong, right?" My friend Danielle suddenly spoke up.

The last remaining people at the table suddenly started to leave as well and I was left to make a decision...